Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MBA /JDquestion  (Read 868 times)

ashok

• View Profile
    • Email
MBA /JDquestion
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »
So how does getting a 2L summer BIGLAW job fit in with a joint degree? If you go JD/MBA, you will have to go another year to graduate. Do firms hire you for 3L summer work with the intention of you comming aboard after the 4th year for the MBA? Or do most JD/MBA's not go into Biglaw and are more concerned with getting into Business. Wht sort of jobs are out there for a JD/MBA?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MBA /JDquestion
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:03:15 PM »
Curious about this as well...

JD4me2012

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:21 AM »
Me too....

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »
So how does getting a 2L summer BIGLAW job fit in with a joint degree? If you go JD/MBA, you will have to go another year to graduate. Do firms hire you for 3L summer work with the intention of you comming aboard after the 4th year for the MBA? Or do most JD/MBA's not go into Biglaw and are more concerned with getting into Business. Wht sort of jobs are out there for a JD/MBA?

This is more of a school-specific question because different schools do their joint degree programs differently.  At my school, most joint degree students do the non-JD degree first- so in the case of a JD/MBA they would take all business courses year 1, then transition to a regular law student years 2-4.  It sounds like yours might do it the opposite way...or are you sure?

Just call your school's student services and ask.  It is a valid question.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
yeah, I think it depends on when you take your business courses. At my school you have to spend one full year taking the business courses, and some people do that their 2nd year and some the 3rd. I've heard from one JD/MBA that employers still care about getting a hold of you after your second year of law school, whether that takes place before your first year of business law or after. But then I know another JD/MBA who did his business courses after his 2nd year of law and got the gig leading to his permanent job that 3rd summer. Summers after his 1st and 2nd years he did regular clerky stuff.

Does that make sense?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.