Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago-Kent PT v. Rutgers-Newark PT ($$)  (Read 295 times)

espanol

• View Profile
Chicago-Kent PT v. Rutgers-Newark PT ($$)
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:01:46 PM »
Hello LSD'ers,

I need some input from you guys.  I need to make a decision by June 1st between Chicago Kent and Rutgers (both PT evening programs).  I am a little torn, because there are high points between both schools that I like, and I just want to make sure I am making the most informed decision possible. 

With Chicago-Kent some of the high-points are:

- Chicago location (I really like Chicago especially since this decision will require me to move from Southern California),
 - The people (the midwest hospitality really appeals to me)
 - Ranking (it seems that Kent is known for IP, legal writing, and has an overall higher ranking),
 - Chicago is much closer to California than Newark.

With Rutgers some of the high points are:

- In-state tuition offer (Rutgers is offering me instant in-state residency which would drop my annual tuition to $17,000, about $10,000 less than Chicago-Kent),
 - Career services department and employment prospects (Rutgers has great placement percentages for NLJ 250 firms and judicial clerkships)
 - Better network after graduation: my uncle is a Rutgers Alum and now has had his own practice for about 20 years, my cousin is a 2L at Seton Hall and will graduate next year.

There's other factors that I am mulling over, but the ones I outlined are pretty much the main ones that are affecting my final decision.  I guess the main question is do I sacrifice financial independence (after graduation) for a location and market that appeals to me?  Or is it dumb to pass up free money and a great employment network to go to a fairly comparable school?  Your thoughts...