Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dumb things that we said as 0L's  (Read 8632 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb things that we said as 0L's
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
Man, speaking of folks that advocate this stuff, my publisher wants me to in my book. (oh,BTW, ya'll know how me and A joke about my writing a book ; well I actually wrote one). He wants me to advocate that BS! He says our way of looking at summer prep makes us sound like a bunch of hippies and that there is no diff in one's abilities between the summer b4 law school and a few weeks in. I feel like I'd be selling out if I cave.

Who are these people?  Non-law school grads I take it.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
@A: I was told I must present both sides of the debate at least if I don't cave entirely.

LOL. Will be sure to let u know when it drops and autograph it! It's under a pen name though.

@Sands: lol. Apparently he went to Harvard.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »
Man, speaking of folks that advocate this stuff, my publisher wants me to in my book. (oh,BTW, ya'll know how me and A joke about my writing a book ; well I actually wrote one). He wants me to advocate that BS! He says our way of looking at summer prep makes us sound like a bunch of hippies and that there is no diff in one's abilities between the summer b4 law school and a few weeks in. I feel like I'd be selling out if I cave.

He can't be serious.

Have your average "Pre Law" College Grad. (A joke within itself) ready Pennoyer vs. Neff a month b4 law school and then have someone read it a month after law school.

You'll get completely different responses.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:06 PM »

He can't be serious.

Have your average "Pre Law" College Grad. (A joke within itself) ready Pennoyer vs. Neff a month b4 law school and then have someone read it a month after law school.

Word.  And unfortunately he is quite serious...hence the hold up in my getting published.   >:( >:(

But yeah in preparing the book, I encountered (trust me encountered is the right word to descibe the experience) my briefs that I did during Orientation a few days before law school started.  Then I also came across my briefs a few weeks in.  Both were hilariously horrible, now, looking back on it.  But the second batch was a vast improvement. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »

He can't be serious.

Word.  And unfortunately he is quite serious...hence the hold up in my getting published.   >:( >:(

But yeah in preparing the book, I encountered (trust me encountered is the right word to descibe the experience) my briefs that I did during Orientation a few days before law school started.  Then I also came across my briefs a few weeks in.  Both were hilariously horrible, now, looking back on it.  But the second batch was a vast improvement. 

I guess his method will make the book available to a "wider" audience since they'll be able to say that it gives study tips for "Pre-Law students" (God I  hate that term. You either ARE a Law student or your AREN'T, there ain't no inbetween) to use before they enter law school so they can have a "leg-up" on their classmates.

University of Law '09

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 09:37:58 PM »
Yeah that's a good point.  I just can't see myself selling out like that.

LOL, yeah I remember becoming a "pre-law" student for the sole purpose of getting into law school thinking it would help.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:51 PM »
Yeah that's a good point.  I just can't see myself selling out like that.

LOL, yeah I remember becoming a "pre-law" student for the sole purpose of getting into law school thinking it would help.

I remember when I was in High School a College Admissions officer came to speak to us about a particular school. Somebody asked about why the brochure didn't mention anything bout a "Pre-law" major:

Student: Does your school have a Pre-law major?
Add: Well, there technically is no such thing as Pre-law
Student: Yes there is, University of State has a Pre-law Major.
Add: No, seriously, there is no such thing as Pre-law. You can major in whatever you want.
Student: But what if we want to prepare for law school?
Add: I'm trying to tell you that you can major in whatever you want and go to law school

This little debate went on for about 5 min until the officer finally moved on to a new subject.

I think schools should stop creating those "Minors" or "Degree tracks" because it does nothing but help turn otherwise regular undergrads into pretentious undergrads.

University of Law '09

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 05:01:29 PM »
LOL that student sounds like a future gunner. 

But yeah I wish they would stop with the "pre law" garbage-  I would've majored in something different had I known.

So I'm still sitting here with my book trying to do the revision he wants me to do and I've been staring at a blank page for a few hours.  I wrote some stuff but lol it sounds more like anti-summer prep than it is for it.  So I deleted it.   

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »
@Truone, on Pennoyer v. Neff, you are right.

I am currently in this CLEO summer pre law program that preps you for law school. It is basically 3 classes held everyday of the week for the summer which are taught like a regular law school class, with crazy ass readings and all that. Anyways, we just had to read Pennoyer v. Neff about a week ago, and the professor made a point of trying to use "socratic method to the max in order to prepare us for whats ahead" and guess who the lucky student was? yours truly lol. I mean I did alright but I quickly realized no matter how much stuff or heads up you guys give us on here, it is a different ball game when you actually going through it. Its like I read the case, briefed it and thought I got the main point. Then, I get to class and its like I missed something or focused on the issue within the issue instead of the main issue or something crazy lol, you never win with these people lol. But nobody told me how stimulating law school is, yes I hate havin to sleep only 5 to 6 hours most of the night, but I love it the readings, classes, and discussions with my classmates..

I know this is like kiddie stuff to you guys by now, but what do you think? Too early to be talking about I love it?l
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
@Truone, on Pennoyer v. Neff, you are right.

I am currently in this CLEO summer pre law program that preps you for law school. It is basically 3 classes held everyday of the week for the summer which are taught like a regular law school class, with crazy ass readings and all that. Anyways, we just had to read Pennoyer v. Neff about a week ago, and the professor made a point of trying to use "socratic method to the max in order to prepare us for whats ahead" and guess who the lucky student was? yours truly lol. I mean I did alright but I quickly realized no matter how much stuff or heads up you guys give us on here, it is a different ball game when you actually going through it. Its like I read the case, briefed it and thought I got the main point. Then, I get to class and its like I missed something or focused on the issue within the issue instead of the main issue or something crazy lol, you never win with these people lol. But nobody told me how stimulating law school is, yes I hate havin to sleep only 5 to 6 hours most of the night, but I love it the readings, classes, and discussions with my classmates..

I know this is like kiddie stuff to you guys by now, but what do you think? Too early to be talking about I love it?l

Sounds like you have the makings of a good law student.

I loved the stimulating academic environment that law school provides.  I think our education is like no other graduate or professional school. You're forced to think about things on several different levels, going back and forth between facts, law, and policy.

It's never to early to be passionate about the law.  Keep that going throughout your 3 years and you will do well.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston