Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dumb things that we said as 0L's  (Read 8947 times)

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb things that we said as 0L's
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »
@Truone, on Pennoyer v. Neff, you are right.

I am currently in this CLEO summer pre law program that preps you for law school. It is basically 3 classes held everyday of the week for the summer which are taught like a regular law school class, with crazy ass readings and all that. Anyways, we just had to read Pennoyer v. Neff about a week ago, and the professor made a point of trying to use "socratic method to the max in order to prepare us for whats ahead" and guess who the lucky student was? yours truly lol. I mean I did alright but I quickly realized no matter how much stuff or heads up you guys give us on here, it is a different ball game when you actually going through it. Its like I read the case, briefed it and thought I got the main point. Then, I get to class and its like I missed something or focused on the issue within the issue instead of the main issue or something crazy lol, you never win with these people lol. But nobody told me how stimulating law school is, yes I hate havin to sleep only 5 to 6 hours most of the night, but I love it the readings, classes, and discussions with my classmates..

I know this is like kiddie stuff to you guys by now, but what do you think? Too early to be talking about I love it?l

Sounds like you have the makings of a good law student.

I loved the stimulating academic environment that law school provides.  I think our education is like no other graduate or professional school. You're forced to think about things on several different levels, going back and forth between facts, law, and policy.

It's never to early to be passionate about the law.  Keep that going throughout your 3 years and you will do well.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
Future Law Professors, dead ahead!
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »
@Truone, on Pennoyer v. Neff, you are right.

I am currently in this CLEO summer pre law program that preps you for law school. It is basically 3 classes held everyday of the week for the summer which are taught like a regular law school class, with crazy ass readings and all that. Anyways, we just had to read Pennoyer v. Neff about a week ago, and the professor made a point of trying to use "socratic method to the max in order to prepare us for whats ahead" and guess who the lucky student was? yours truly lol. I mean I did alright but I quickly realized no matter how much stuff or heads up you guys give us on here, it is a different ball game when you actually going through it. Its like I read the case, briefed it and thought I got the main point. Then, I get to class and its like I missed something or focused on the issue within the issue instead of the main issue or something crazy lol, you never win with these people lol. But nobody told me how stimulating law school is, yes I hate havin to sleep only 5 to 6 hours most of the night, but I love it the readings, classes, and discussions with my classmates..

I know this is like kiddie stuff to you guys by now, but what do you think? Too early to be talking about I love it?l

Sounds like you have the makings of a good law student.

I loved the stimulating academic environment that law school provides.  I think our education is like no other graduate or professional school. You're forced to think about things on several different levels, going back and forth between facts, law, and policy.

It's never to early to be passionate about the law.  Keep that going throughout your 3 years and you will do well.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
Future Law Professors, dead ahead!

Guilty.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 01:52:01 AM »
But nobody told me how stimulating law school is, yes I hate havin to sleep only 5 to 6 hours most of the night, but I love it the readings, classes, and discussions with my classmates..

I know this is like kiddie stuff to you guys by now, but what do you think? Too early to be talking about I love it?

I don't think that getting excited early on is a problem-  in fact, I think it's your biggest strength in  law school and it's something I mention in my book pretty extensively.  If you surveyed (almost) everyone that did well in law school...any law school, you'd find that some have purchased supplements, some have not, some studied in groups, some have not, some used LEEWS, some have not, so on and so forth  But the one thing that's common to most if not all of them is an "excitement" about the law.  I truly think that it's that excitement that makes you go the extra mile to do the things that separate you from the rest.

To that end, the excitement is relatively easy to lose.  Law school has a way of making a person feel inferior.  It's not as easy to be #1 as it was in undergrad, professors "hide the ball", etc.  To echo Sands' sentiments, as long as you keep that excitement you should be ahead of the game. So do whatever you need to do to hold onto the excitement that you have now.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 01:30:31 AM »
haha @ the law professor comment. At this state, I highly doubt my ability to teach any thing to anyone lol

Sands, I hope you do become a law professor because I usually read your comments (along with TrueOne, Cui bono) and you guys seem like you know what you talking about lol. but please dont torture the 1Ls like your predecessors lol

Bueno, that’s great you already wrote a book. That’s actually one of my major Goals and im looking forward to sharpening my skills in law school. By judging the legal memo I wrote today, lord knows I need it lol. I am concerned about losing that excitement like you mentioned. Its funny you used the "hide the ball" reference because I was speaking to one of the professors today and he said that exact phrase like 100 times lol.. what is your book about? if you dont mind me asking?

P.s My bad for temporarily hijacking this thread!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
LOL it's fun to "torture" the 1Ls. 

Thanks.  My book is about law school- and all that encompasses.  Sort of a "One L" meets "Planet Law School" meets "Getting to Maybe".  Just another law school prep book except there are quite a few juicy parts that are unique as compared to what's out there.  It's a book full of stuff I wish I would have known prior to going in. I'm thinking of writing a second book because the first has some cliffhangers.  Some stuff I say is pretty out there so the book is written under a pen name- but there are some definite clues as to my real identity.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
LOL it's fun to "torture" the 1Ls. 

Thanks.  My book is about law school- and all that encompasses.  Sort of a "One L" meets "Planet Law School" meets "Getting to Maybe".  Just another law school prep book except there are quite a few juicy parts that are unique as compared to what's out there.  It's a book full of stuff I wish I would have known prior to going in. I'm thinking of writing a second book because the first has some cliffhangers.  Some stuff I say is pretty out there so the book is written under a pen name- but there are some definite clues as to my real identity.

Oh sounds like very interesting. I am jealous, but glad for you lol. I skimmed over Plant Law School II, it seemed like some parts were too early to read as an OL. I read some parts of getting to maybe, and book is more helpful I think. Over here, they are making us read this book called "Expert Learning" and I think that was the best out of all of them. If you ever want to share your book title let us know and Ima try to check it out, but im sure you probably want to stay anonymous since you have a lot of posts in here and got knows what outlandish said somewhere like 1000 post ago lol
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »
Stupid things I said as a 1L:
You mean if I got to room 165 at noon I’ll get free pizza and all I got to do is listen about some group/club/journal/origination/cause/problem? How bad can that be? I’m in!”

I’ve seriously sat through time share sales pitches that were more interesting than most of the crap I went to to get free food. I mean I went to the Black Law Students Association, the Latino Law Association, the Women’s Law Association, the Right to Life law Association, the Pro Choice law association, the law republicans, the law democrats, gay law students for equal right, evangelical law students for stoning people to death who are different, animal law association, BBQ Law group, Native Amercian law students. I had no shame but I did not pay for lunch for near on two years. My pasty white, fat balding male conservative ass would sit in the back of the room and say with a mouthful of free food “speak it brother!” “speak it sister!” “down with men” “free the amainls!” “This is some good BBQ” “You said it homie!” “abort that baby” “save that baby!”. I freely and openly support your [insert cause/compliant/mission here] if you feed me.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
You mean if I got to room 165 at noon I’ll get free pizza and all I got to do is listen about some group/club/journal/origination/cause/problem? How bad can that be? I’m in!”

I’ve seriously sat through time share sales pitches that were more interesting than most of the crap I went to to get free food. I mean I went to the Black Law Students Association, the Latino Law Association, the Women’s Law Association, the Right to Life law Association, the Pro Choice law association, the law republicans, the law democrats, gay law students for equal right, evangelical law students for stoning people to death who are different, animal law association, BBQ Law group, Native Amercian law students. I had no shame but I did not pay for lunch for near on two years. My pasty white, fat balding male conservative ass would sit in the back of the room and say with a mouthful of free food “speak it brother!” “speak it sister!” “down with men” “free the amainls!” “This is some good BBQ” “You said it homie!” “abort that baby” “save that baby!”. I freely and openly support your [insert cause/compliant/mission here] if you feed me.

So... why was this stupid?  Sounds great to me.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »

So... why was this stupid?  Sounds great to me.

cuase you habe to listen to people yap while your trying eat
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 07:02:28 PM »
what happen at meeting of anorexic society?