Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: East Coast People: Are They Different Than Us?  (Read 6019 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: East Coast People: Are They Different Than Us?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
You guys don't know what the @#!* you're talking about re: East Coasters.  We're super, super hospitable and usually wear our hearts on our sleeves.  We'll also be the first to call bull and not pretend to like someone. 

So East Coasters are exactly like Russians?

In many cases, they are Russians.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 11:34:10 AM »
You guys don't know what the @#!* you're talking about re: East Coasters.  We're super, super hospitable and usually wear our hearts on our sleeves.  We'll also be the first to call bull and not pretend to like someone. 

Womp womp.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with CTL. This is a great article explaining why: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/mytown-newyork.html

Dreamy Boss Man

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 11:43:39 AM »

Womp womp.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with CTL. This is a great article explaining why: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/mytown-newyork.html

Quit being so snarky.  You're not the same lady that I fell in with.  I still love you though.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »

Womp womp.

That's an interesting article.  It certainly seems to capture the general tone of the city, and I think that the city in many ways sets the tone for life upstate.  Upstate NY might look and seem in some ways closer to the midwest than to the city, but I think most of us share that 'outgoing' attitude.  Of all the places I've been, NY/MA/NJ most seem to be inhabited by people with a certain candor to them.  Some people might view this as too frank, rude, or lacking tact, but it seems driven by a sense of community.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »
Hm.  Good points.  I have to say upstate NY folks are pretty chilled though as well as people from PA (once you're out of the bad parts of Philly).
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »
OK here's my thing: the NY/NJ/PA communication style says to SHOW all your emotions, to dramatic effect, if you get mad, yell and wave your hands; if you're sad, cry; etc. The NE communication style holds that visible/audible emotion demonstrate a lack of maturity and self-control. In the west we view visible demonstrations of emotion as the FAR end of the scale, if you cry it's because you are SUPER sad: your mom/dad/SO just died, etc.

I think upstaters seem more like west coasters (like table protectors ;) ) because they are between the big city culture and the NE, I think there may be differences i just haven't seen yet.

I dunno about southerners or midwest folks, I guess I just don't know enough of you ;)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »

Womp womp.

Great article! I live in Chicago, which is like this in a milder sense.  I guess that's why Chicago is nicknamed Second City.  Always living in the shadow of glorious NYC.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »
What is a table protector?

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »
So today on the subway, the most wonderful thing happened, and it made me think of this thread and why people who think New Yorkers are cold and self-involved are full of it.

I was getting on the 2 express train at 96th Street (large transfer point, very crowded, lots of people trying to get on the train at the same time). In the running, this one elderly woman fell right at the door of the train car and had a really hard time getting up. She hit her nose and started to bleed. About five guys in business suits ran up to help her get up, and they got blood all over their clothes and didn't seem to mind at all. They helped her get onto the train, and half the car stood up to offer her their seat. She sat down and was very clearly shaken and still bleeding. This man came up to her and offered her some tissues. Another woman offered her disinfecting wipes. A man offered her his copy of the New York Times and this young kid who looked like an extra from a Snoop Dogg video started talking with her to try to make her laugh. Maybe it's just human decency to act this way, but New Yorkers really do care about each other and have a great sense of sympathy and compassion.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »
That wouldn't have happened in Toronto.