Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: East Coast People: Are They Different Than Us?  (Read 6177 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
East Coast People: Are They Different Than Us?
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:02:29 PM »
Being from the Midwest, I've always been surprised to notice a cultural difference on the East Coast.  I shouldn't generalize, but I find that, on average, young people are more concerned about social mobility, status, and speed of living.  People go out more than their Midwest counterparts, stay out later, work until they're actually tired.

Then again, I mostly see an old friend of mine from my home state, and maybe many of her friends are like that.  She lives in Washington Heights.

Is it just me?  I've been thinking slightly more about where I want to go -- perhaps hopelessly ambitious, in this economy -- and I'm mulling over the cultural difference I noticed a year ago.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: East Coast People: Are They Different Than Us?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »
I've lived in NY and MI. There is definitely a difference in culture and the pace and expectations of life. I personally like the East Coast lifestyle a lot better. I feel like there is a lack of ambition in MI, and I don't like it at all.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
I find east coast attitudes as very cold and dismissive.  However, they may just not like me?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »
Just curious, how are you defining "East Coast?"  New York and Boston for sure...  What about DC? Norfolk? Savannah? Jacksonville?

DC is kind of an "iffy" city.  Maybe the political scene is incredibly fast paced, but I found the legal scene a bit more relaxed.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
Just curious, how are you defining "East Coast?"  New York and Boston for sure...  What about DC? Norfolk? Savannah? Jacksonville?

DC is kind of an "iffy" city.  Maybe the political scene is incredibly fast paced, but I found the legal scene a bit more relaxed.

Does DC count?  No one is actually from DC, so it has the vibe of a gigantic hotel.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
Being from the Midwest, I've always been surprised to notice a cultural difference on the East Coast.  I shouldn't generalize, but I find that, on average, young people are more concerned about social mobility, status, and speed of living.  People go out more than their Midwest counterparts, stay out later, work until they're actually tired.

Then again, I mostly see an old friend of mine from my home state, and maybe many of her friends are like that.  She lives in Washington Heights.

Is it just me?  I've been thinking slightly more about where I want to go -- perhaps hopelessly ambitious, in this economy -- and I'm mulling over the cultural difference I noticed a year ago.

You have to be careful with this generalization.  I think that's generally true in the big cities, but there are many rural areas on the "East Coast" that are nothing like the big cities, and resemble the Midwest more than the East. 

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:14:09 PM »
People are different everywhere.

I suppose the East Coast that most people think of are those from New Jersey, New York, and New England.

They are a bit blunt and type-A.  They are a little bit cold though at times, but are actually pretty cool once they warm up to you after a few drinks.

The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:51 PM »
LA and NY are about 15 to 30 years ahead of everyone else. Escape the time warp.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:29:10 AM »
You guys don't know what the @#!* you're talking about re: East Coasters.  We're super, super hospitable and usually wear our hearts on our sleeves.  We'll also be the first to call bull and not pretend to like someone. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:59:33 AM »
You guys don't know what the @#!* you're talking about re: East Coasters.  We're super, super hospitable and usually wear our hearts on our sleeves.  We'll also be the first to call bull and not pretend to like someone. 

So East Coasters are exactly like Russians?