Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me understand.....  (Read 605 times)

FortheDefense

• Time means nothing in infinity and jelly dougnuts.
    • View Profile
Help me understand.....
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »
This is one schools philosphy...
The School of Law seeks to enroll academically qualified students who have demonstrated a commitment to public service and who are from communities that have been historically denied access to the bar.  The student body comes from a broad spectrum of society. The entering classes are as diverse in background and life experience as they are in ethnicity, gender, and age.

"The Admission Committee reviews academic credentials and admits only those who it believes will successfully complete the three-year program. Because the School of Law's mission is to admit and educate those who have been denied access to the bar, and who have demonstrated commitment to public service, the Committee's decisions are based on academic and non-academic criteria. The non-academic criteria include employment history; community service and volunteer work; family and educational background; family responsibilities; and recommendations that speak to the candidate's professional promise, judgment, integrity, character, skills, and leadership potential."

Forgive my naivety, but what exactly constitutes "those who have been denied access to the bar".....thanks
"I could have gotten a conviction on Simpson's police statement alone!"
Vincent B
"If you dont police the police then who does? YOU police the police by your verdict, so stand up and show some integrity"
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: Help me understand.....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »
Sounds a lot like People's College of Law...

I'm guessing that it is their way of saying minorities.  General rule of thumb, though- if you were to talk to 10 people on the street and less than two of them would have heard of the school, you should probably stay away.  I would probably be wary of David A. Clarke School of Law... there are a lot of schools out there with the only purpose to eat up your money.  Then again, some could argue there that is the purpose of all law schools. 8)
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

FortheDefense

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
Stay away from People's College of Law.  For the sake of humanity and all things right, stay away.

LOL no its not People's College of Law, but I have to tell you I was amazed when I looked up that school (it rejects the LSAT)....this is from an approved ABA school. I just dont understand what "denied access" meant...
Vincent B
"If you dont police the police then who does? YOU police the police by your verdict, so stand up and show some integrity"
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century

FortheDefense

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »
Sounds a lot like People's College of Law...

I'm guessing that it is their way of saying minorities.  General rule of thumb, though- if you were to talk to 10 people on the street and less than two of them would have heard of the school, you should probably stay away.  I would probably be wary of David A. Clarke School of Law... there are a lot of schools out there with the only purpose to eat up your money.  Then again, some could argue there that is the purpose of all law schools. 8)

Yes actually it is UDC(formerly Antioch College of Law). Its very convenient though for me (a non trad student in his 40's) just by geographical location. I am not one to waste an app at say Gtown, GWU, or AU....unless I aced the LSAT. Catholic U is also on my list though. Thanks for replying!
Vincent B
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century