Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suspected Cheating Running Rampant at My Law School  (Read 3794 times)

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suspected Cheating Running Rampant at My Law School
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 12:12:20 PM »
Actually, closed book exams make perfect sense.  In fact, you'll find that one of the first things they do when you get a job at a law firm is make you get rid of all your books.  If you're not able to counsel clients, write briefs and appear before judges using nothing by your memory, you will never work in the field of law.  Fact.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »
I'd imagine that if you tell the proctor you need to urinate and that it's their choice whether you do it in the bathroom or the corner of the exam room, they'll let you go to the bathroom a 2nd time during the exam regardless of the policy.  :o  ;)

Excellent point. I'd add that you must be prepared to follow through on your threat should your bathroom use still be denied. Follow through is an important element of integrity.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
For some reason, this is not surprising, and it really shouldn't matter.  Isn't cheating the american way?  That's what it seems like to me.  Sorry guys, i'm a history major.  lol  :D
I'm The Question and The Answer like A.I.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
It's syracuse.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2009/05/cheating-scandal.html

There appears to be a scandal a'brewin at my law school.  Recently everyone in my class received an email about suspected cheating and that the matter is now being investigated.  Apparently they think students are going to the bathroom to check their outlines on blackberries during closed book exams.  My guess is this is just a big overreaction and that a few blokes had to leave the room to take a piss more than once.  I know I've gone to the bathroom at least twice every exam because I consume so much caffeine.  I just pray I don't get diarrhea during my 4 hour con law exam.  I'm sure some little paranoid student got their titties all in a bundle over what was probably nothing. 

The other claim is that students are "reentering" examsoft after exams to change answers.  That's pretty easy to verify, and anyone who was dumb enough to actually do this deserves whatever they get.  Anyways, here is the email we received from our student life office.  I'm curious about what people have to say.  As a note, it was not marked as confidential:

Dear 1L Students:

During this exam period, we have received a significant number of reports from 1L students alleging academic dishonesty and possible violations of the Honor Code by other members of the first year class. If accurate, this is disturbing and does not portend well for individuals seeking admission to a profession whose foundation is truth and professional responsibility.

The reports include: unauthorized use of electronic devices to access outlines/notes outside of the examination rooms while exams are in progress (in bathrooms); unauthorized transcription of outlines/notes into exam resources/supplements; unauthorized copying of examination answers in the examination rooms; and re-entering ExamSoft after the examination has ended (ExamSoft prints a record of when and for how long an exam is accessed) to edit, erase, change answers.

Any of these actions, if engaged in by a student, constitute a breach of the Student Code of Conduct. The College of Law will be investigating each of these reports to determine whether any disciplinary action is warranted. Sanctions for academic dishonesty range up to and include, expulsion from the College of Law.

In light of these reports from students, the following procedures will be implemented for the rest of the examination period:

(1) Students will be allowed to sign out of an exam only once during any scheduled exam. If for medical reasons, you need to be able to sign out more than once, please make an appointment to see Dean ______ in the Office of Student Life as soon as possible. You will be required to provide medical documentation indicating the need for such accommodations.

(2) Regular sweeps of the restrooms will occur before and during exams to ensure that no unauthorized exam resources (notes, outlines, etc. in electronic or hardcopy form) are being used.

(3) Additional proctors will be situated outside of the examination rooms to ensure quiet during the exams and that students signing out to go to the restrooms, go to the closest facilities and return in a timely manner.

(4) The ExamSoft logs will be reviewed to determine if any students have accessed exams after the designated end time.

(5) All reports we have received from students concerning alleged academic dishonesty will be investigated fully and appropriate action, pursuant to the academic rules, will be taken.

It is unfortunate that we must send this e-mail to all 1L students as we are certain that the overwhelming majority of our students would not consider engaging in this inappropriate and unprofessional behavior. However, due to the number of reports we have received from students, we felt that a notice to all students in the class was warranted.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Life.

Good luck on the remainder of your exams.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
It's syracuse.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2009/05/cheating-scandal.html

There appears to be a scandal a'brewin at my law school.  Recently everyone in my class received an email about suspected cheating and that the matter is now being investigated.  Apparently they think students are going to the bathroom to check their outlines on blackberries during closed book exams.  My guess is this is just a big overreaction and that a few blokes had to leave the room to take a piss more than once.  I know I've gone to the bathroom at least twice every exam because I consume so much caffeine.  I just pray I don't get diarrhea during my 4 hour con law exam.  I'm sure some little paranoid student got their titties all in a bundle over what was probably nothing. 

The other claim is that students are "reentering" examsoft after exams to change answers.  That's pretty easy to verify, and anyone who was dumb enough to actually do this deserves whatever they get.  Anyways, here is the email we received from our student life office.  I'm curious about what people have to say.  As a note, it was not marked as confidential:

Dear 1L Students:

During this exam period, we have received a significant number of reports from 1L students alleging academic dishonesty and possible violations of the Honor Code by other members of the first year class. If accurate, this is disturbing and does not portend well for individuals seeking admission to a profession whose foundation is truth and professional responsibility.

The reports include: unauthorized use of electronic devices to access outlines/notes outside of the examination rooms while exams are in progress (in bathrooms); unauthorized transcription of outlines/notes into exam resources/supplements; unauthorized copying of examination answers in the examination rooms; and re-entering ExamSoft after the examination has ended (ExamSoft prints a record of when and for how long an exam is accessed) to edit, erase, change answers.

Any of these actions, if engaged in by a student, constitute a breach of the Student Code of Conduct. The College of Law will be investigating each of these reports to determine whether any disciplinary action is warranted. Sanctions for academic dishonesty range up to and include, expulsion from the College of Law.

In light of these reports from students, the following procedures will be implemented for the rest of the examination period:

(1) Students will be allowed to sign out of an exam only once during any scheduled exam. If for medical reasons, you need to be able to sign out more than once, please make an appointment to see Dean ______ in the Office of Student Life as soon as possible. You will be required to provide medical documentation indicating the need for such accommodations.

(2) Regular sweeps of the restrooms will occur before and during exams to ensure that no unauthorized exam resources (notes, outlines, etc. in electronic or hardcopy form) are being used.

(3) Additional proctors will be situated outside of the examination rooms to ensure quiet during the exams and that students signing out to go to the restrooms, go to the closest facilities and return in a timely manner.

(4) The ExamSoft logs will be reviewed to determine if any students have accessed exams after the designated end time.

(5) All reports we have received from students concerning alleged academic dishonesty will be investigated fully and appropriate action, pursuant to the academic rules, will be taken.

It is unfortunate that we must send this e-mail to all 1L students as we are certain that the overwhelming majority of our students would not consider engaging in this inappropriate and unprofessional behavior. However, due to the number of reports we have received from students, we felt that a notice to all students in the class was warranted.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Life.

Good luck on the remainder of your exams.

I knew there was something that rubbed me as TTT about the 'Cuse when I was looking at them...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »
They could easily resolve this issue by having all tests be open book. Let me rephrase that... they could easily resolve their concerns about cheating, not the lack of moral standards displayed by some of their students. By offering open book tests, it would eliminate any concern about people going into the bathroom to check their outline... and because they'd still be graded in comparison to each other, you'd wind up with a more accurate assessment of the student's ability to identify issues, analyze the facts, and apply the law, rather than having its first focus on sheer memorization.
Rob

PS: Plus, it would allow people to use the facilities for their intended purpose, rather than threatening to wet a proctor's leg. ;)
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 11:07:17 PM »
They could easily resolve this issue by having all tests be open book. Let me rephrase that... they could easily resolve their concerns about cheating, not the lack of moral standards displayed by some of their students.

There were other instances of cheating that would not be resolved by making exams open-notes: copying of exam answers and accessing the electronic exam after time has been called.