There appears to be a scandal a'brewin at my law school. Recently everyone in my class received an email about suspected cheating and that the matter is now being investigated. Apparently they think students are going to the bathroom to check their outlines on blackberries during closed book exams. My guess is this is just a big overreaction and that a few blokes had to leave the room to take a piss more than once. I know I've gone to the bathroom at least twice every exam because I consume so much caffeine. I just pray I don't get diarrhea during my 4 hour con law exam. I'm sure some little paranoid student got their titties all in a bundle over what was probably nothing.
The other claim is that students are "reentering" examsoft after exams to change answers. That's pretty easy to verify, and anyone who was dumb enough to actually do this deserves whatever they get. Anyways, here is the email we received from our student life office. I'm curious about what people have to say. As a note, it was not marked as confidential:
Dear 1L Students:
During this exam period, we have received a significant number of reports from 1L students alleging academic dishonesty and possible violations of the Honor Code by other members of the first year class. If accurate, this is disturbing and does not portend well for individuals seeking admission to a profession whose foundation is truth and professional responsibility.
The reports include: unauthorized use of electronic devices to access outlines/notes outside of the examination rooms while exams are in progress (in bathrooms); unauthorized transcription of outlines/notes into exam resources/supplements; unauthorized copying of examination answers in the examination rooms; and re-entering ExamSoft after the examination has ended (ExamSoft prints a record of when and for how long an exam is accessed) to edit, erase, change answers.
Any of these actions, if engaged in by a student, constitute a breach of the Student Code of Conduct. The College of Law will be investigating each of these reports to determine whether any disciplinary action is warranted. Sanctions for academic dishonesty range up to and include, expulsion from the College of Law.
In light of these reports from students, the following procedures will be implemented for the rest of the examination period:
(1) Students will be allowed to sign out of an exam only once during any scheduled exam. If for medical reasons, you need to be able to sign out more than once, please make an appointment to see Dean ______ in the Office of Student Life as soon as possible. You will be required to provide medical documentation indicating the need for such accommodations.
(2) Regular sweeps of the restrooms will occur before and during exams to ensure that no unauthorized exam resources (notes, outlines, etc. in electronic or hardcopy form) are being used.
(3) Additional proctors will be situated outside of the examination rooms to ensure quiet during the exams and that students signing out to go to the restrooms, go to the closest facilities and return in a timely manner.
(4) The ExamSoft logs will be reviewed to determine if any students have accessed exams after the designated end time.
(5) All reports we have received from students concerning alleged academic dishonesty will be investigated fully and appropriate action, pursuant to the academic rules, will be taken.
It is unfortunate that we must send this e-mail to all 1L students as we are certain that the overwhelming majority of our students would not consider engaging in this inappropriate and unprofessional behavior. However, due to the number of reports we have received from students, we felt that a notice to all students in the class was warranted.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Life.
Good luck on the remainder of your exams.