Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best way to develop speed  (Read 789 times)

marsilni

• View Profile
Best way to develop speed
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
I started studying for the June 2010 test two months ago.  Got a 147 on my first ever attempt, no prep at all, didn't even know what kind of questions were being asked.  I bought the Powerscore bibles and Superprep.  I finished the Games bible a few weeks ago.  I understand most games pretty well, but I seem to take too long figuring out the trick to each problem.  Now, I'm using the tests in Superprep just to practice, no timing.  I plan on doing the same once I get through the RC and LR bibles.

Is there any good way to develop speed?  Should I use Superprep by picking apart each section of each test without worrying about timing?  How else would I practice for games?  I plan on buying as many PT's as possible and eventually timing myself.

shenderson

• View Profile
Re: Best way to develop speed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:21:29 AM »
I'm just studying for my first LSAT myself, and had been having the same problems as you describe.  With some intensive work in the last couple of days, I've been able to drop my time to finish the LG section on my daily practice test from 35-45 minutes (ack) to 25-30 minutes.

I've found the analogy to language learning helpful.  You're at that point where you know *how* to say a lot of things in -- let's say -- Japanese, but you have to stop and think about each word.  Of course, it's no good knowing how to ask directions somewhere if it takes 5 minutes to finish the sentence.   :(

So the next step is fluency practice: working over and over on stuff that you already understand, until it becomes automatic.  Now, if you're actually planning to spend 13 months preparing for the LSAT (not nonstop, I hope), you're going to want to husband the real practice tests, since there are only so many.  So one thing you may want to do is look into non-authentic practice tests; you can find these in any LSAT book that advertises practice tests but doesn't mention where they come from :).  These aren't valid as diagnostics -- they'll be too easy, or too hard, or just too non-LSAT-like -- but they're similar in type, and you can sit down and take, say, 3 LG sections in a row without worrying that you've taken 3 whole practice tests out of circulation. 

Alternatively, you can go back to practice tests that you took a little while ago -- long enough ago that you don't remember the details -- and use the LG sections from those.  Either way, repetition is key to building fluency; your brain needs lots of practice in order to get up to speed with this kind of unfamiliar material.  (And if you're like me, your brain needs a lot more practice on LG than the other sections.)

Anyway, YMMV, but I've had good results with repetition+persistence so far. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »
So the next step is fluency practice: working over and over on stuff that you already understand, until it becomes automatic.

^This is how you do it.

So one thing you may want to do is look into non-authentic practice tests; you can find these in any LSAT book that advertises practice tests but doesn't mention where they come from :).  These aren't valid as diagnostics -- they'll be too easy, or too hard, or just too non-LSAT-like -- but they're similar in type, and you can sit down and take, say, 3 LG sections in a row without worrying that you've taken 3 whole practice tests out of circulation.

I wouldn't do this.  There are now, what, 56 or so preptests?  That's 5,600 questions, and though the test has evolved a little bit, even the oldest of the old ones are going to be better practice than any fake tests. 

Just use real questions and don't worry about running out.  You don't even need to do but a fraction of what's out there to learn all of LSAC's tricks (and IMHO you're better off doing a small number of questions several times than a large number only once).

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »
I agree with all of the above posters.  Instinct is so important, and it only develops through hard work, and repetition.
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

lsatbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
June test be hardest ever.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
now cut that out.