Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to say when you are quitting?  (Read 7456 times)

JD4me2012

• View Profile
Re: What to say when you are quitting?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 07:04:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else???

ogs918

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
What to say? How about, "I'm quitting to go to law school. Thanks for employing me."?

I wanted to wait until 2 weeks before, but the rumor mill made it impossible for me to keep it quiet. I told my job a couple of weeks ago. In fact, my last day is early July so I can have a break before school starts. I don't know how they feel about it and honestly, I don't care. It's not like they can talk me into staying. But I've also been here for almost 4 years... maybe it'd be different if I just started.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:36 PM »
As others have said, the employer could just fire you on the spot...or at the very least make the next few months awkward and unpleasant.  Trust me, though your instincts to give them extra time to prepare for your departure is noble, but you don't owe them more than two weeks.  They're under no obligation to treat you with the same courtesy, and there is a good chance they won't.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:32 PM »
I don't know what I would do if I was in your shoes, I'd probably just keep stringing your boss along for as long as possible if you think that there's any chance that you'll get fired or abused if you disclose that you're definitely leaving. Most people I've talked to who are starting up in August have had pretty understanding (heck, a lot of them have been very encouraging) bosses.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »
one of the people on my team has made it clear from the start that he's going to attend business school.  we all knew he got in and it was just a matter of time before he would quit, so it was kind of a waiting game. 

he put in his notice on monday to leave on 6/12, which gave us a month to find his replacement.  we found her yesterday and now we have time to properly train/pass off duties before the guy leaves.

my point is that everyone knew that eventually he was going to leave, but he gave us plenty of notice.  in the OP's case, they know you're going to leave but they don't know when.  if it were me, i'd probably say that i'm still deciding between some opportunities then let them know well in advance so you don't screw anyone over.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »

Don't antagonize people.  We're your future colleagues.  If life has taught me anything, it's that you should never alienate anyone.

POT: Well, hello there, Mr. Kettle!  I must say you are looking very black today.   ;)

LMAO. This is too good to be true.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »
Here's a fun question: What do you say when the company is trying to promote you because they don't know you're quitting soon? I know from company history that they will ask me to leave right away if they know the truth. I've turned down the offer a few times, but they keep making it and they're starting to wonder why I keep saying no.

sillysassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »
I am in a similar situation, although different because I work for a government organization. I have been at my job for almost five years. When I originally interviewed for my position (2005), I told them that I planned to go to law school eventually. When a higher position came up last year, I did not apply, one because I didn't meet the  minimum qualifications as listed by the personnel office, and 2 because I was applying to law schools. When that job got filled, my direct supervisor asked me why I didn't apply. I told them the reasons listed here. My direct supervisor wrote a LOR for me, so he has known for months that I have been planning to go back to school, and has been kept abreast of the situation. However, I did not tell anybody in upper management, as I did not want this to hurt my job.

When I went on a vacation to visit schools, I didn't tell anybody that was why I was going. However when I came back, I was in the office for about 10 minutes, and three or four people came by and asked "So have you made a decision on what school you are going to?" including upper management. I asked my boss about it and he said it came up at a supervisor staff meeting. Since then, they have denied me training that all the other staff members attend, although it is free training, and the only cost would be the time I would be at class. (I work at a job where I charge to various projects, anything that isn't projects goes to overhead, time spent at training has its own charge code.) Alhough they can't fire me as I work in this government position, is it affecting my job. If I do end up staying and not going back to school, I will be at a disadvantage as that class only comes up every 3 or 4 years. I am at this point pretty sure that I am going back to school, however I may change my mind, especially with some new jobs opening up where I work.

People continue to ask, and I tell them I don't want to talk about it at work, but that I am weighing my options. I tell them I am waiting to see how the staffing changes play out. Lately people have stopped bugging me about it. There are 12 of us who have the same job position, and we have two open positions that were never filled. So they are advertising one position, and will have that filled before I leave. I technically only have to give 2 weeks notice, but I will let them know as soon as I am 100% sure. At this point it is a bad career move to reduce any options...
In: UW, L&C$$$,Indiana U$$$,Univ Colorado$,U Denver $$$, U Oregon $, Utah $$$, Baylor $$$$, Tulane $$$$, Illinois $$$, Temple $$, Boston College, St. Louis U $$$$, UC Davis, UNM
Denied: Berkeley
WL: U Texas, Duke, Northwestern
3.95 GPA, 158+165 LSAT, 5 years NEPA experience since UG

duchovnysfan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 03:50:30 AM »
2 Weeks Notice is enough notice to give your employer. You shouldn't worry about training the next person or if they find someone before you leave. They'll take care of it, that's their job and their concern no longer yours once you put in the notice.

In your notice, thank them the opportunity to work and that you had a good experience there and when you'll resign.

Don't bend over backwards for a company b/c they don't ever have to do that to you......

Good luck and congrats on law school :)
Going to the big dance (accepted):
Not going to the big dance (rejected): Southwestern, McGeorge - University of the Pacific, GW, Loyola, USD, USC
Bubble teams (WL/Deferred):Whittier
Crowding around TV for Selection show (pending): UCLA, Pepperdine

TimMitchell

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »

Don't antagonize people.  We're your future colleagues.  If life has taught me anything, it's that you should never alienate anyone.

POT: Well, hello there, Mr. Kettle!  I must say you are looking very black today.   ;)

I'm glad this thread got bumped so I could catch this