Law School Discussion

What to say when you are quitting?

Re: What to say when you are quitting?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »
Why?  Choosing UK over two of the nation's best schools takes balls -- balls I freely admit I don't have.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
Why?  Choosing UK over two of the nation's best schools takes balls -- balls I freely admit I don't have.

So why not say that instead of doing that passively disapproving/judgey thing you have patented?

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
Because I'm on a dolphin, doing flips and *&^%.

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
I hope you know what you're doing.

I am going to the best law school in the state that I grew up in and plan on living in for the rest of my life.  I am doing so for free, and, by doing so, I am forgoing various appealing options.  Three years from now, I may look back and wonder what things would have been like if I had acted differently.  But, I can rest assured, three years from now, I will not owe tens/ hundreds of thousands of dollars and have no secure means of paying these debts back.  I don't fault others for their choices, and I wouldn't blame someone else one bit if they would do something differently in my shoes.  I know what I am doing, and I am happy about my choices.

All of the US News points in the world can't make up for some things... I have the feeling that if you are anything in person like you are on these boards, no law degree can help you.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:01:32 AM »
Because I'm on a dolphin, doing flips and *&^%.

TITCR.

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
I took a job in September. Took the LSAT my second week on the job and applied shortly after that. I knew going in that there was no way I would be there a year. It's not a good job anyway, so I probably wouldn't have stayed this long if I hadn't known I was leaving. I'm not telling them a thing until I quit, because they have a history of asking people to leave the second it's obvious that they're not hanging around for the long term. That said, if I were asked directly, I would be upfront about it. I don't imagine anyone here will ask me directly, though. I decided pretty early on in this process that I don't have to be loyal to this company. If they get hit by the economy, I'm the first one out the door anyway. What I need to do is what's best for myself. That is what I intend to do. I'm giving them two weeks notice at the end of June and then I'm out.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »

I am going to the best law school in the state that I grew up in and plan on living in for the rest of my life.  I am doing so for free, and, by doing so, I am forgoing various appealing options.  Three years from now, I may look back and wonder what things would have been like if I had acted differently.  But, I can rest assured, three years from now, I will not owe tens/ hundreds of thousands of dollars and have no secure means of paying these debts back.  I don't fault others for their choices, and I wouldn't blame someone else one bit if they would do something differently in my shoes.  I know what I am doing, and I am happy about my choices.

All of the US News points in the world can't make up for some things... I have the feeling that if you are anything in person like you are on these boards, no law degree can help you.

Don't antagonize people.  We're your future colleagues.  If life has taught me anything, it's that you should never alienate anyone.

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 11:21:31 AM »

Don't antagonize people.  We're your future colleagues.  If life has taught me anything, it's that you should never alienate anyone.

POT: Well, hello there, Mr. Kettle!  I must say you are looking very black today.   ;)

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 02:56:38 PM »

hahaha! Wally, you are too much.

Harrison

• broker and brokerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 10:06:04 PM »
As I see it, you have three choices:

i. Tell the truth;
2. Continue to obfuscate;
c. Lie like hell.

If you pick 1, they may decide to terminate you immediately, or to replace you sooner.

If you pick b, they will probably continue to pressure you about your plans.

If you pick iii, they may assume the risk is over.

So, for 3, I'd suggest saying something along the lines of, "I didn't get in anywhere good;  it's a really competitive year with the economy sucking so bad."  You could add, "but I got waitlisted at Harforlumbia" if you want to give yourself an easy back-story in a few months when you tell them that you got your acceptance.

My experience with employers has been fairly bad.  If you have a good relationship with your manager and don't think the company would (or could) terminate you early, telling the truth is obviously the best solution.  If your manager is like most of mine were, it's a recipe for 2.5 extra months of unpaid vacation.

Good luck.