Law School Discussion

What to say when you are quitting?

What to say when you are quitting?
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:14:42 AM »
Is anyone dealing with a situation similar to me?

At my job, it has been leaked that I am going to law school ( I had the supervisor of my old department write my LOR ). My new director keeps asking me if I have applied and if I have heard back. First she asked in Jan and I replied something along the lines of " they usually dont start sending the acceptances until April or May." Fast forward to last week she asks me again and I answered something like " its a competitive process and it just takes time to get the decisions from the school."
The problem: I transferred to the dept in September 08. I have known since Dec that I got into law school as a FT student. Because I dont think its a public matter and I dont want to create a miserable work environment I have not told them. I plan on quitting July 31 ;D.

1. How are you keeping your bosses from continuing to ask questions?

2. What is the best way to break the news to the employer when its time to write the letter ( She's actually doubting that I will get into law school and if I do, then she expects me to go PT so I won't quit)?

Re: What to say when you are quitting?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »
I'm probably a terrible person to answer this because I started a job in September always knowing I intended to apply to law school, didn't say anything to my company, and intend to quit in mid-July.  :)

I just intend to write a letter basically saying that I enjoyed my job, but a great opportunity arose to which I could not say no.  I am probably giving them a month's notice so they have time to find someone and I can train that person if needed.  Perhaps you could offer the same?

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »
I'm probably a terrible person to answer this because I started a job in September always knowing I intended to apply to law school, didn't say anything to my company, and intend to quit in mid-July.  :)

I just intend to write a letter basically saying that I enjoyed my job, but a great opportunity arose to which I could not say no.  I am probably giving them a month's notice so they have time to find someone and I can train that person if needed.  Perhaps you could offer the same?

I, like yourself, knew I would not even make the 1 year mark in the current position. I wanted the additional experience since it was a "within the company" transfer. I think they would need time to find a replacement, but even with a month notice I would probably only train them for about a week (If they post the position the same day it would probably be 2weeks before they find a person and the person starts. Then another week going through an expedited general company and industry regulations policy training. Then I would train them all of 1 week which is NOWHERE near enough time.)

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »
Anyone else?

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
I was really anxious about this because I started a job after applying to law schools (and got my first acceptance about a week after starting).  Then I talked to my dad about it, and he reminded me that it's my responsibility to look out for my own interests, because my employer isn't going to; it's their responsibility to look out for their interests.

It's usually best to just be honest, but if you truly feel backed into a corner (i.e., you think they'll just let you go now if they know you've already accepted an offer of admission or something), you could say you aren't sure yet (for financial reasons, or because you're on a waitlist, or you haven't heard from all of the schools you applied to, or something) and you'll let her know as soon as you know for sure. I think let them assume I'd gotten in off of a waitlist by telling them in the summer and acting really excited about how I got into my dream school. You should avoid lying, but you don't have to volunteer information if you're concerned about your job security/environment.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
Cady is/was right.

I told them, without hesitation, that I was leaving.  They were like, "okay."  Luckily, legal employers rarely care about recommendations from non-legal employers.

Then I told them which school, and they were impressed, but that's just me self-aggrandizing. 

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 02:16:52 PM »
Originally, I thought I was going to go to law school down in Nashville... so my wife and I moved down there.  After a while of searching for a job, I finally settled on a part-time job at a bookstore (better than nothing, and my resume is already in pretty good shape).  While I was on my lunch break during the first day, I got a call saying I had won a full tuition scholarship at Kentucky, where I am from.  My wife and I talked about it, decided to go ahead and move back home to Kentucky.  I called my boss and told him I was leaving after one day.  One day.

I realize my situation is different than yours, but you may find some humor in it, nonetheless

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
Originally, I thought I was going to go to law school down in Nashville... so my wife and I moved down there.  After a while of searching for a job, I finally settled on a part-time job at a bookstore (better than nothing, and my resume is already in pretty good shape).  While I was on my lunch break during the first day, I got a call saying I had won a full tuition scholarship at Kentucky, where I am from.  My wife and I talked about it, decided to go ahead and move back home to Kentucky.  I called my boss and told him I was leaving after one day.  One day.

I realize my situation is different than yours, but you may find some humor in it, nonetheless

I hope you know what you're doing.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »

Wally, once in a while you have to let an opportunity to be a tool pass you by, okay?

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »

Wally, once in a while you have to let an opportunity to be a tool pass you by, okay?

TITCR.