Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PLEASE help me to decide - UF or UM???  (Read 1622 times)

lunagirl

• View Profile
PLEASE help me to decide - UF or UM???
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:02:52 AM »
I would really appreciate ANY advise and input!!!
I have been admitted to both, Miami offered 5k a year scholarship and Florida $6 first-year grant and residential tuition. I know, it seems like no-brainer at the first sight, UF is higher ranked and less expensive school. But there other factors to consider for me. First,  I'd really like to get a job in a big or medium size law firm in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Palm Beach area, and I heard that UM places well in those cities, while many UF grads go to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, etc, but I do not consider moving to those parts of the state. Could the UF location be a disadvantage for securing a good job in Miami since it doesn't provide the same networking opportunities as UM, which is right here, in the city?
And second, I'm not sure how well I will fit in Gainesville, small college town with strong football-oriented culture. I am 27, lived in big cities all my life, and don't like football games.
Once again, and advise is welcome!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE help me to decide - UF or UM???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »
UF is the best law school in the state. It travels well within the state of Florida and into Georgia.  Anyone who's not a multi-millionaire, would be an idiot to choose UM over UF.  Three years pass by before you know it.   You will pay about 100K more going to UM...that's 4 or 5 brand new cars and half a house for a lower ranked law school within the same state.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, I am a UF law student, but I'd go to UF if I were in your position.  (And I was, last year, when I chose UF over UM.)

The reasons are many:

1) It's still the best school in Florida.  While the competition has tightened up in recent years, with UF law cutting its enrollment in the next few years that'll change a bit.

Don't underestimate UF's weight in all parts of the state, including the home territories of UM and FSU. 

With that being said, it is true that you will lose some networking opportunities while in school.  That leads me to number 2:

2) Cost.  This is undervalued by many law students.  You probably would pay double the cost to go to UM.  Many people who go to a school like UF or UM and are 100k in debt are under more pressure to get into any firm, let alone a firm that they might like.  While there's still pressure for someone who owes 50k to get a job, it's not nearly as stressful....

3) Do you really think all they do in Gainesville is play and talk football?   :D

Gainesville has a lot of cool things to do if you're willing to look for it, from outdoors activities to partying.  Also, the "big" cities are only 1.5 to 2 hours away, and I know MANY people who take trips throughout the year.  I'm not originally from FL, and honestly Gainesville is probably one of the coolest places I've seen, if you keep your mind open.  But to be fair, it's not for everyone, and that's cool. 

Also, keep in mind that you won't be spending most of the time "living it up" in the city.  You will be studying!

4) I'm assuming your scholarship is 5k/yr., contingent on maintaining a certain GPA or class rank?

UM did this for me, and while it wasn't a hard requirement, it helped make my decision.  (If I lost the scholarship, I went from paying about $10,000/yr. in tuition for the first year to paying $35,000/yr. for the last two years.)

5) You can always network over the summer.  Many students do that. 

With all that being said, UM is a solid school, and choosing a law school is a very personal choice.  If you have any more questions about UF or Gainesville, feel free to ask. 

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »
UF.

Better reputation.  Similar biglaw placement.  Much cheaper tuition.  Unless you part with money easily, go for UF. 

If you can get Miami to up your scholarship to an amount that makes tuition equal or less than UF, then maybe I could see you choosing Miami based on your personal considerations (unhappy being anywhere but Miami).

lunagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
Thank you very much for all your advices! I lean much stronger towards going to UF now ;)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:49:17 AM »
Also, UF places more in Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, etc because they are geographically closer.  Cheaper, ranked higher:  Go to UF. 

(I'm also a UF student, PM me if you want to ask any specific UF questions)
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »
Thank you very much for all your advices! I lean much stronger towards going to UF now ;)

Good call.   ;D

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
Take Florida. You'll get a good job in Miami from UF or The U. Cost should be the key consideration here.

And don't worry, you'll learn to like football at either school.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »

And don't worry, you'll learn to like football at either school.

Wrong!

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:53 PM »
UF.  They are higher ranked for a reason.  Their placement probably is better than you may think.  Don't worry about football.  It will be the least of your concerns.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy