Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A graduating 3L's things you should know before you go to law school.  (Read 11863 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm probably in the minority, but I disagree with 8.  The few times I tried to use supplements I did poorly; when I didn't, I did well.  Every professor covers different material, with different points of emphasis.  When you use a supplement, you may learn a lot of the material, but there will be parts of the professor's class you won't learn, and there will be parts of the supplement you'll learn that are not relevant to the class.

I also feel like supplements seem to short you on case facts.  These can be very important come exam time.

I think supplements are OK if you're going for a B or B+ as opposed to an A, and I also think they're helpful if you genuinely don't understand an issue (though hornbooks are probably better).  But overall, I found them to have negative value--they don't teach you much you couldn't learn from reading the case, they take up valuable time, and they can be misleading as to what matters for the exam.   
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I don't think law school is much like high school at all. Then again, I don't have to take Bible and Jewish Ethics in law school, so that could be the big difference.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Donnie Jeffcoat

• This monkey's gone to heaven.
    • View Profile
Re: A graduating 3L's things you should know before you go to law school.
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 12:01:12 AM »
I'm probably in the minority, but I disagree with 8.  The few times I tried to use supplements I did poorly; when I didn't, I did well.  Every professor covers different material, with different points of emphasis.  When you use a supplement, you may learn a lot of the material, but there will be parts of the professor's class you won't learn, and there will be parts of the supplement you'll learn that are not relevant to the class.

I also feel like supplements seem to short you on case facts.  These can be very important come exam time.

I think supplements are OK if you're going for a B or B+ as opposed to an A, and I also think they're helpful if you genuinely don't understand an issue (though hornbooks are probably better).  But overall, I found them to have negative value--they don't teach you much you couldn't learn from reading the case, they take up valuable time, and they can be misleading as to what matters for the exam.   

Strongly agree with this post.  Trust me: if you are trying to skate through law school, supplements are your friend.  If you are trying to graduate with honors, STAY AWAY from supplements.  There was a HUGE difference in the grades I got when I used supplements versus the grades I got in classes in which I didn't.  You should be focusing on what your professor is focusing on so unless your prof wrote the supplement (and maybe not even then), stay away from the supplements.
JD Class of '09

Good Teacher

• Karl Marx was misguided but he meant well.
    • View Profile
Re: A graduating 3L's things you should know before you go to law school.
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »
Thanks for posting this sno!  Your insights are great and your delivery is hilarious. :-)
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." Henry David Thoreau