Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA - summer associateship, 1L and 2L  (Read 965 times)

• View Profile
UCLA - summer associateship, 1L and 2L
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:22:52 AM »
Hey guys,

Could anyone (preferably a current UCLA student) share their thoughts about how difficult the class of 2012 will find it to secure summer associateships as 1Ls and 2Ls? I know it's kind of a guessing game in this 'new' economy, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Beyond summer associateships, what other opportunities would you anticipate being available during the summer of 1L and 2L?

From speaking with current UCLA law students, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty.

I'm trying to get a feel for what the entering class could realistically expect to be doing in their first and second summer. Do you think a summer associateship in 1L or 2L is still a realistic goal? Or is it now a case of just hoping to find any kind of law-related work, even if it's unpaid?

Thanks.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA - summer associateship, 1L and 2L
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »
Hey guys,

Could anyone (preferably a current UCLA student) share their thoughts about how difficult the class of 2012 will find it to secure summer associateships as 1Ls and 2Ls? I know it's kind of a guessing game in this 'new' economy, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Beyond summer associateships, what other opportunities would you anticipate being available during the summer of 1L and 2L?

From speaking with current UCLA law students, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty.

I'm trying to get a feel for what the entering class could realistically expect to be doing in their first and second summer. Do you think a summer associateship in 1L or 2L is still a realistic goal? Or is it now a case of just hoping to find any kind of law-related work, even if it's unpaid?

Thanks.

So . . . you got an answer that you didn't like, and you came to an online forum in order to get an answer that appeals to you?

In that case, YOU'LL GET IN EVERYONE YOU APPLY.  HTFH.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:32:19 PM »

Uncertainty as in they think prospects are bad or uncertainty as in they have no idea what prospects look like?

If the latter, I'm not sure anyone could really give you any good answers.  The whole biglaw framework is getting shaken around a bit.  Hard to say what's going to happen in the next year or two until it actually happens.  :(
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »
i have a friend at UCLA law who just finished her 1L year there with a near 4.0. she was unable to land a SA gig, though was able to find a good summer judicial clerkship. i think that once 2L OCI rolls around, she should be fine. note that isn't so much an indictment of UCLA as it is of the current state of the job market. simply stated, firms are not hiring [and if you're a 2L SA now you better keep your fingers crossed; the days of the 100% offer rate are a thing of the past]

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »
1L SA= Next to nobody.

A few might get some bites in secondary markets or through minority recruitment programs. We are talking less than 5% of the class.

2L SA= top 1/3 will have a sold shot. Top 1/2 will have some shot.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »
Thanks for the input.