Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: History degree  (Read 3536 times)

amar

• View Profile
    • Email
History degree
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »
I was wondering if there is anyone here that is attending or plans on attending law school with a history degree. It seems most people go to law school with english, pol sci, or buisness degrees. How much will a history degree help me in law school?

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: History degree
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
I was wondering if there is anyone here that is attending or plans on attending law school with a history degree. It seems most people go to law school with english, pol sci, or buisness degrees. How much will a history degree help me in law school?

It can't hurt.  It might actually help you a bit with Con Law. 

People go to law school with ALL KINDS of degrees.  I don't think there is a best degree for law school.  The people who seem to do the best are creative, bright, and pay attention to detail.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »
Yep. Though I'd say here its a bit heavier on the econ and philosophy than I expected. Seriously, it might matter a little coming out of the gate, but only very little. They teach you how they want you to think pretty effectively and I really don't see much advantage in any particular major. One advantage I did have was as a criminal justice minor, (yes, 20 friggin years ago) I nailed Criminal Law.

barnacle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Yup. History major here.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:04:51 PM »
History is one of the most popular majors for law students.  Why?  First off, the history major is all but useless without an advanced degree.  Second, much of history is legal history.  Third, much of the law is the culmination of experience--the value of appreciating history is obvious.

I was a history major.  If I could do undergrad over again (and if I were solely concerned with preparing myself for law school), I'd have done a double-major in econ and philosophy, but I did just fine.  Writing and critical thinking (assuming your program required that of you) are essential, and a history major prepares you pretty well for that.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .