Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory v. Fordham v. BU  (Read 850 times)

KarlFarbmann

• View Profile
Emory v. Fordham v. BU
« on: May 07, 2009, 04:36:14 PM »
I am having a tough time deciding between Emory, Fordham, and BU. Emory and BU are evenly ranked among all major ranking databases, whereas Fordham is lower ranked, but in NYC where i currently live and someday hope to practice.

Equal money to all, and dont really care about surroundings since all are similarly situated in major cities. My concern is ability to enter NY BigLaw from one of these schools. Is it really true that Fordham has better access to NY biglaw? or is going to a higher ranked school looked more highly upon by hiring partners? I already have ties to 2 major NYC firms thorugh work experience as a paralegal.

What if practicing in NY was taken out of the equasion? would that change anyones response?

Thoughts???

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
Re: Emory v. Fordham v. BU
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
Atlanta, Boston, New York. Pick One.
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:28:59 PM »
Atlanta, Boston, New York. Pick One.

Emory is more than just Atlanta though.  It's the whole Southeast including Miami, Carolinas, Miss., Alabama, Louisiana, and even Texas. 

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
I can't speak for BU, but I can say that if you are in the top 1/3 at Emory, you should be able to get a job with a big firm in NYC provided you don't turn people off when you interview. Ditto for Fordham. Conversely, if you are thinking about Southeast, more firms have experience with Emory grads than Fordham grads (as most choose to stay in NY). While I know some people here at Emory that are going to Boston, if you are thinking about Boston, BU is probably a safer bet.

I think there is a misconception on this board that if you go to Emory, you are going to be stuck in the Southeast. That is just plain not true. I'm going to the west coast this summer (I have zero ties there), and many, many of my classmates are going to NYC.

I would look at which one is cheaper and which one you like the best if you get a chance to visit.