Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: We Made It! New 2L's give the new 1L's some advice.  (Read 4068 times)

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: We Made It! New 2L's give the new 1L's some advice.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »
It's usually about political stuff like he'll make some sly remark about someone's group they are starting and get into an argument with them about it, etc.  Or, in the alternative, a professor will be giving a speech about their new book and he'll write about how he doesn't find the subject interesting or whatever.  Just strange stuff like that.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
Don't date?!? :( I think it's more like don't do stuff at parties or bars that you'd be embarrassed about, because usually your whole class will find these things out. I started going out with someone in my section halfway through the year and everyone knew, nothing wrong with that. Lots of people from my 1L class are still going out with each other. Of course if it ends badly that sucks.

And Wally, you didn't know facebook wasn't anonymous?  :P

To be fair,

3. Don't date -- unless you're Bosco.

Also, to be fair,

This batch of LSD Chi posters may be unrepresentative, considering both you and nerfco are dating fellow members of the 2010 class.  What percentage would you say are in relationships with other 2010ers?  In my class, I would wager it's maybe 5%; I can't think of more than two couples.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »
^Agreed.  There's this crazy kid in my class who would constantly send messages to the student body ranting about different subjects and getting into arguments with them over open e-mail.  Result: he's basically blacklisted everywhere he goes (professor's actually know who he is and don't like him) and attorneys from firms I've interviewed with have actually asked me if he's really as strange as people have told them.  On the upside he's earned legendary status without doing any real legal work:)

That's nuts!

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »
My advice: don't go to law school. Get out while you can.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 11:47:52 PM »
Quit now, and save your money. It doesn't get any better.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »

Why would you say this?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »

Why would you say this?

Because people should get out while they can? I thought this was pretty obvious.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »

Why would you say this?

Because people should get out while they can? I thought this was pretty obvious.

This is just very general and not even helpful.  How about warning people instead to do a lot of research and make sure they know what they are getting into?  Warn them not to go to law school just because they think they will be rich or because they graduated with a Poli Sci degree and don't know what else to do.  Law school isn't bad for everyone, but it is terrible for some.

I think there are plenty of us who love law school.  I honestly have no regrets.  It was a good decision for me and I knew exactly what I was signing up for.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
I was joking people...relax.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
I wasn't joking. I feel like only the people that like law school should should become lawyers. I'm just sayin', I wish I quit at the end of 1L. But if you like it and really want to be a lawyer, keep at it. Unfortunately, most people that go to law school have never been in a legal office or done legal work yet (I said most, not all), as a result I feel like we get very upset when we finally step foot in the legal setting. I think the law itself is extremely interesting. I love research and I love writing papers. But dealing with pounds of paperwork and bad clients really ruins it for me. So my advice, like before, if you don't like the practice of law, get out now.