;

Poll

Penn State vs. Villanova

Penn State
 5 (45.5%)
Villanova
 6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: PENN STATE DICKINSON vs. VILLANOVA  (Read 2911 times)

ObEsE_GuY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: PENN STATE DICKINSON vs. VILLANOVA
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
I understand. Unfortunately, I didn't get into a comparable CA school (I got waitlisted at Santa Clara), so it's not an option for me. At some point in my early career I do plan to move back to CA, but I would consider working in the East for a couple years after graduating.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:21 PM »
I didn't mean just Pepperdine. I meant any west coast school. I was just curious if you had even applied to west coast schools. Once you go below the top schools (i.e., Georgetown and above), schools become increasingly regional. This should be a factor in your decision. Now, if you have substantial connections or a job already lined up and you just need the degree, then obviously it wouldn't matter. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure you were taking school reach into account. Villanova and PSU won't have much of an alumni base/connections in California, at least compared to west coast schools.

Yeah, most people don't realize this.  Past the T14 schools, it's more about networking in a region. 

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »
Not that it matters, but you'd have much more fun at Penn State.
Well behaved women rarely make history.

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
I also got into Villanova and Penn State, but chose Penn State because they gave me a $15k scholarship, and Nova gave me nothing. Since you are in the exact opposite spot, I would go w/ Nova. Very close in rankings, both have brand new buildings, both have plenty to offer aside from school, but for half the price it's hard to turn down Nova.

ObEsE_GuY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »
I would agree w/you 100% if I wasn't considering doing a joint degree program. I strongly believe that PSU's MBA program is a big factor and it's really what's driving me to pick it over Villanova at this point. Also, I believe PSU will move up some more in the rankings, while I'm unsure if Villanova will change as much. :-\

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
Also, I believe PSU will move up some more in the rankings, while I'm unsure if Villanova will change as much. :-\

I wouldn't place too much weight on that.  While PSU might be able to remain on par with Villanova, Temple, and Pitt, its location is going to hurt it in PA.  Being located in central PA really doesn't help.

ashok

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 09:05:44 AM »
Since you are in the exact opposite spot, I would go w/ Nova. Very close in rankings, both have brand new buildings, both have plenty to offer aside from school, but for half the price it's hard to turn down Nova.At some point in my early career I do plan to move back to CA, but I would consider working in the East for a couple years after graduating.Just to through some figures out there, it would cost me $165K to attend Villanova for 4yrs w/Scholarship. It would cost me $193K to attend PSU for 4yrs. In the end we're talking $30K difference.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28:33 PM »
You are also looking at MBA programs.  Everyone here is focusing on the law side of things, but few have addressed that the Smeal Business School at Penn State is a very good business school.  As far as I know, more highly regarded than Villanova.  But, I will say I am not well versed in MBA programs and how different schools stack up, but it is something that you should take into account as well.  Best of luck to you!

ObEsE_GuY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »
You are also looking at MBA programs.  Everyone here is focusing on the law side of things, but few have addressed that the Smeal Business School at Penn State is a very good business school.  As far as I know, more highly regarded than Villanova.  But, I will say I am not well versed in MBA programs and how different schools stack up, but it is something that you should take into account as well.  Best of luck to you!

FINALLY! Somebody else said it. This has been a huge factor to me. So much that I will probably end up going to PSU despite the 20k a year Villanova is offering me.