Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grading question - an error and the curve  (Read 1152 times)

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
Grading question - an error and the curve
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »
Hey.

Have a second to lend some advice? 

I took the foundational course in an area that I hope to practice in last Autumn.  The prof. said that our grade would be based on either a) an exam, or b) an optional research paper, provided that we take the exam and pass it.  I opted for the latter.  The exam period was 3.5 hours; I stayed just long enough to ensure a passing grade.  The paper was turned in and golden, and I focused on finishing up my other classes.

Grades were posted in January - a "B."  Huh?  I approach the prof.  We discover that, because of the procedure for anonymous papers and some administrative confusion, there was a screw up and the "B" I got on the exam -- expected -- was recorded rather than the "A-" I earned from the paper.  Easy to fix, right? 

The school refuses to change the grade because the number of A-s and As are already maxed out.  The dean says that the only way that I can get the A- is for the student who received the lowest A- to have a retroactive de-grading.  The professor and I seem to have exhausted all administrative processes within the law school.  There may be some way to seek relief through the general university, but I don't know where.

Due to changes in the law school largely relating to the economy, the advanced opportunities in this area of the law that I was counting on participating in next year have been canceled.  So ... I have a lower GPA, a bad grade, and heart.  Lots of heart. 

What would you do? 

Thanks!
Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Grading question - an error and the curve
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »
Hey.

I took the foundational course in an area that I hope to practice in last Autumn.  The prof. said that our grade would be based on either a) an exam, or b) an optional research paper, provided that we take the exam and pass it.  I opted for the latter.  The exam period was 3.5 hours; I stayed just long enough to ensure a passing grade.  The paper was turned in and golden, and I focused on finishing up my other classes.

Grades were posted in January - a "B."  Huh?  I approach the prof.  We discover that, because of the procedure for anonymous papers and some administrative confusion, there was a screw up and the "B" I got on the exam -- expected -- was recorded rather than the "A-" I earned from the paper.  Easy to fix, right? 

The school refuses to change the grade because the number of A-s and As are already maxed out.  The dean says that the only way that I can get the A- is for the student who received the lowest A- to have a retroactive de-grading.  The professor and I seem to have exhausted all administrative processes within the law school.  There may be some way to seek relief through the general university, but I don't know where.

Due to changes in the law school largely relating to the economy, the advanced opportunities in this area of the law that I was counting on participating in next year have been canceled.  So ... I have a lower GPA, a bad grade, and heart.  Lots of heart. 

What would you do? 

Thanks!

Figure out what you can do at the main university level, do it, sue if everything else doesn't work. Document everything along the way.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »
Hey.

What would you do? 

Thanks!

Figure out what you can do at the main university level, do it, sue if everything else doesn't work. Document everything along the way.

+1.  @#!* those guys.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »
Email everything to ATL... I'm sure Lat can fix everything for you.

I'd threaten lawsuit.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:37:56 AM »
Email everything to ATL... I'm sure Lat can fix everything for you.

I'd threaten lawsuit.

I'm pretty sure ATL will only post if the OP sends an e-mail to the student body with a bunch of insulting language about the administration.  Another "meltdown" story.  ;)

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 02:35:47 AM »
Unless it's one of the tippy-top schools, they'll hate bad publicity. Go public.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:58:37 AM »
That sucks.  Don't know what I would do but I'd be pissed.  I can't imagine they can't make an exception to the curve to up you from a B to an A- in this narrow circumstance.  Seriously how badly could that throw the curve off?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:37 AM »
I don't buy the "we can't deviate from the curve" line.  Lots of schools ignore the curve when changing grades due to professor error--they don't retroactively redistribute all the exams on the curve and bump someone down.  Weird.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
You have to make sure to blame career services too. no matter what, it's always their fault.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
Wow, this is totally unfair.  I agree with everybody who says you should go public.  You shouldn't be dinged for an administrative snafu.  Of course they can change your grade.  Even though the difference between B/A- is a big one, it likely won't affect your curve if you have more than 30 students in your class.

Your administration is full of crap.  Go public.  Call them out on it.