Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Go to a tier 4 school or wait, save money, retake LSAT and apply later?  (Read 3132 times)

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
If you have a job, didn't take the lsat seriously (recommend taking a class if you didn't), and want better job prospects, then retake. Unfortunately, LSAT means a lot to admissions, so if you do jump up enough, you can get into a better school with possibly the same or more in scholarship money. I think you would regret going to law school when you know you could do better on your LSAT to get in better schools. Plus, if you save money now, its less loans later.

thisname

• View Profile
    • Email
so, in response to the questions:

1.  I have a 75% scholarship at Western State, based on maintaining a 2.8 and full time----probably around 40-50Kdebt or less
2.  I have a about a 1/3 scholarship at Whittier and anything further would be base on me staying in the top 20%----probably around 50-70K debt or less
3.  I have no scholarship at Southwestern, but feel this is a better school---looking at around 70-90K debt
4.  I wouldn't mind staying in CA if I could find a smaller town to practice in--not a big fan of staying in the Orange County or LA area. 
5.  I am still narrowing down a field of practice, but looking at dispute resolution, business, intellectual property and family law
6.  I could save seriously up to and possibly exceeding 30K by working another year.

My graduate advisor (I have a MS in Biology)---is encouraging me to just go and that I am scared, but I don't want to go to the wrong place---however, what if this is my only shot at law school?  I am so lost and can't believe it.......

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In my opinion don't go.  I had a full ride + living expenses to Chapman last year and was sort of tempted to just go chill in South OC because of my love of the area + already having a decent amount of debt from UG (bleh should have went to state school where they hand out A's like candy). 

Anyways, suffice to say, I didn't do it and went to a t30ish school instead.  I'm so glad I went here and not Chapman.  It's stressful enough staying in the top 20% or whatever to get a decent job from here, and people are a lot smarter than I thought they'd be.  I can't imagine how stressful it would be going to a school where you literally need to be in the top 5 (not top %, TOP 5) to have good prospects.  I bet people are a lot smarter at T4 schools than most people give them credit for, and they probably all work their asses off too. 

Anyways, if you can get decent scholarships from T4s and get into some T2s already you should definitely wait a year and try to get into a better regional school at least.  Try to go somewhere where the name is at least respectable and doesn't automatically close a lot of doors for you.  It will make your life really hard. 

OH, and last note, it will be incredibly stressful trying to maintain the GPA for scholarships at T4 schools.  They're basically scams and over 1/2 the people who take them don't have one after the first year.  Thus, not only are you at a T4 school, but you are paying 40k a year to go to one.  Ouch. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
OH, and last note, it will be incredibly stressful trying to maintain the GPA for scholarships at T4 schools.  They're basically scams and over 1/2 the people who take them don't have one after the first year.  Thus, not only are you at a T4 school, but you are paying 40k a year to go to one.  Ouch. 

This was definitely the most important reason for not choosing a local T4 school for me last cycle.  It's incredibly risky planning on keeping your scholarship.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I say wait and reapply. I'm glad at least one poster will actually consider this. I go to a T25 school and 30% of the graduating class doesn't have a job. A good portion of that is probably because of the economy, but still. Going to a Tier 4 school and incurring over 5K total debt (including living expenses) would scare me..a lot.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
Only shot at law school? You make it sound like they blacklist you if you apply and don't go. I'm pretty sure that law school admissions do not act like that nor have the capacity to. Plus, if you improve your LSAT, they will want you even more. So unless, you are in your mid-50's, you probably aren't too old nor is it your last chance. And why there might be a slight fear factor in not wanting to go, I think you have a legitimate concern about money, school, and job.

thisname

• View Profile
    • Email
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I have been in negotiation with one school to increase my scholarship which entices the deal.  I have also discussed and asked about some numbers regarding lL scholarship renewals at a couple of the schools. It looks like about half of 1L do not make the GPA to receive the scholarships during their second year and about 10% actually get improvements with most getting full rides.  It seems that there will only be more and more applicants to compete with in the upcoming year, considering the economy.  Any takes on all this/?????

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
don't go. wait and retake.