Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from a part-time program to HYSCN... anyone have experience?  (Read 3862 times)

mousqueton

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm wondering if anyone knows about transferring from a part-time program to a top school (HYSCN) or any school for that matter.

I'm beginning GULC-PT this Fall.  I decided on doing the PT program because I'd like to spend extra time with my two kids as I missed out on a lot while deployed to Iraq for 15-months with the Army last year.

If next year around this time, I had great grades, do the top-5 schools transfers from part-time students?  I know they nominally say they do, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of anybody who actually did it.

During the actual academic year, I'd be taking 24 units (everything that normal 1Ls take except for Crim and an elective).  I would then take those two courses over the summer and have the same number of credits as a full-time 1L at GULC.

Stats:
UG: 3.33 from a service academy
LSAT: 164
Softs: Military officer / cultural diversity (non-URM)

Any comments or anecdotes?

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I imagine you'll have to be at the very, very top of your class (as in straight As top 1%) for HYS. HYS will also probably take your LSAT in to account- with due respect (and I'm sure you already know this,) you didn't have the numbers to get in to GULC Full-time, and probably only got in part-time because of your military experience (thank you for your service, by the way.) You'll still need to do quite well for CN, as well. Being at a T14 in the first instance does give you something of an advantage in the transfer process to T5, but I imagine that will be significantly lowered for a part-timer.

While I think there is agreement that they overstate the case when they say their transfer students would have been copetative for regular admissions, I imagine they do take it in to account.

You're also going to run in to a problem because you won't have any substantive summer experience to include on your resume. Schools like to see that because it makes you a more attractive OCI candidate than folks who take classes during the summer.

I certainly understand your desire to spend time with your kid, and I'm sure that will be taken in to account; but honestly, I wouldn't count on being able to transfer anywhere aside from in to the full-time program at GULC.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You definitely need to be at the top of your class, but some good recs and a great letter of intent will probably go a long way.  Hopefully, you'll really be interested during 1L and you will find an area of the law that you are particularly interested in.  Mentioning specific professors with whom you would like to study will undoubtedly help.

GULC PT is an accomplishment of its own, though.  Maybe you will feel like just transferring into GULC FT..
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm PT at Gtown applying to transfer so I will let you know the results, if you want. Top 2-3% with a CALI award, firm SA. NYU, Penn, and Boalt will not accept PT transfer students. Stanford, Yale, Chicago, and Columbia do. Possibly Harvard but they havent given me a straight answer. One of the posters above said something along the lines of not being able to have summer experience because you will be taking classes. This is not entirely accurate. Pretty much everyone I know is taking classes with a summer job. Most people are working PI or RA. So it is possible to work FT, which is a little crazy, while going to school, which is the purpose of PT. Let me know if you have any question about Gtown PT.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm PT at Gtown applying to transfer so I will let you know the results, if you want. Top 2-3% with a CALI award, firm SA. NYU, Penn, and Boalt will not accept PT transfer students. Stanford, Yale, Chicago, and Columbia do. Possibly Harvard but they havent given me a straight answer. One of the posters above said something along the lines of not being able to have summer experience because you will be taking classes. This is not entirely accurate. Pretty much everyone I know is taking classes with a summer job. Most people are working PI or RA. So it is possible to work FT, which is a little crazy, while going to school, which is the purpose of PT. Let me know if you have any question about Gtown PT.

Wow.  Congratulations.

gmasonlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
NYU, Penn, and Boalt will not accept PT transfer students. Stanford, Yale, Chicago, and Columbia do. Possibly Harvard but they havent given me a straight answer.

Did you contact Stanford directly?  Their transfer admissions website (http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/degrees/jd/transfer_application/) says "Applicants must have completed one full year of law study."

Vaio

• View Profile
NYU, Penn, and Boalt will not accept PT transfer students. Stanford, Yale, Chicago, and Columbia do. Possibly Harvard but they havent given me a straight answer.

Did you contact Stanford directly?  Their transfer admissions website (http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/degrees/jd/transfer_application/) says "Applicants must have completed one full year of law study."

Heard you the first time.

TimMitchell

This thread is subtly trolling Chicago

scgl

• View Profile
Trump, have you/any other part-time people you know at G-town heard from those schools?

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Just got admitted to University of Chicago. So there is some love for part time students.