Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I drop econ?  (Read 867 times)

lsatacolyte

• View Profile
Should I drop econ?
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »
Hey guys, I hope this is the right forum.
I came into UCLA as an econ major but decided I want to do law and became a double major. My GPA started to rise exponentially since Poli-Sci here is A LOT easier than econ. I was struggling to keep a 3.3 with econ and am doing consistent 4.0s.

Anyway, I was hoping having a double major would help me but now I am being told that your major doesn't really matter and that I'm probably wasting my time doing Econ and that GPA is key. What's better, being a double major or having a higher GPA?

Or should I switch my double major for something exotic? I would like to have econ as something to fall back on but is it that important?

jjk2

• View Profile
Re: Should I drop econ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »
well i've heard that law schools do take into consideration the difficulty of the subject you are studying and gpa....

saks5th

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »

Only marginally.

Drop the second major if you're sure you want to do law. GPA and LSAT are 90% of the process. Everything else is marginal at best (unless you're URM, in which case numbers don't really matter).

[/quote]

that is such bull...I don't know where you are getting this crap from, numbers do matter for everyone, thats what law schools' admission are all about. I don't think its fair that some with a 3.9 and a 150(something) should get rejected at a top school but another person with a 2.7(or something) with a 170 gets accepted. Look the whole acceptance process is flawed for everyone one, but its the best they can do. this is beyond the scope of the OP question but poo like this pisses me off...you need to understand before you make an opinion. Also maybe you should take a look at the statistical breakdown of LSAT score by race and gender, it might enlighten you.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
If you like Econ, keep it. I don't see why you would let the law school admissions process stop you from having a bachelors degree in the subject you want.

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »
It really depends how close you are to the econ major.  2-3 more classes = keep.  More = drop.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
Econ will get your brain sharpened for law school, and if law school doesn't work out, you might actually get a job with it.  With just a pol. sci. major, you might want to practice saying "Would you like fries with that?"

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:29:16 PM »
Are you doing regular Econ, Biz Econ, International Econ, or Math Econ?  Have you already taken the weeder classes (Econ 11, 41, 101)?  If yes, you might as well keep going because the truly worst of it is behind you.

But yeah, law school is all about GPA and LSAT. 

Drop the second major if you're sure you want to do law. GPA and LSAT are 90% of the process. Everything else is marginal at best (unless you're URM, in which case numbers don't really matter).

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »
I second botbot: it depends on how close you are.  If you're not close and you can get a higher GPA by dropping it, I say drop it.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »
I agree that GPA and LSAT are 90%, so if one major is keeping your GPA down, drop it immediately.  Econ is certainly helpful, but if you can't stay above a 3.5 because of it, it's not doing you any good. 

I majored in English, maintained a 3.9, and got into Harvard Law School.  The major doesn't matter.  Your GPA is more important.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
I agree that GPA and LSAT are 90%, so if one major is keeping your GPA down, drop it immediately.  Econ is certainly helpful, but if you can't stay above a 3.5 because of it, it's not doing you any good. 

I majored in English, maintained a 3.9, and got into Harvard Law School.  The major doesn't matter.  Your GPA is more important.

You're right. No lawyer should ever be trained in medicine or engineering. Great advice. Shill.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN