Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Property Problems- Tips please  (Read 960 times)

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
Property Problems- Tips please
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »
My test for Property will consist of problems.
Example: O conveys Blackacre to A for life, remained to B and her heirs.  B then dies intestate without heirs.  A then dies.  Who owns Blackacre?

I'm obviously going through my outline and working out the problems, but does anyone have any advice/tips for the test day?  We are allowed to bring in our notes and book.

Thanks!
Class of 2011

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Property Problems- Tips please
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:45:58 PM »
When is it?

It's important to show your work on those problems, so get in the habit of writing it all out like, "The words of purchase 'to A' denote A as the grantee of the estate. The words of limitation 'for life' denote a life estate. There are no other words of limitation in the conveyance, therefore A takes possession."
Then do the same with the future interests and the rest.

Take one interest at a time, working from left to right with no skipping around, and you should be good.

And have fun with the rule against perpetuities! I find drawing a timeline helps with those.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Property Problems- Tips please
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »
The test is next Thursday. Thanks for the tips!
Class of 2011