Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question from a pre-law regarding masters and undergrad  (Read 5728 times)

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
Question from a pre-law regarding masters and undergrad
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
I am going to be going in with a Masters' in City and Metro Planning with a GPA around 3.4.  My undergrad wasn't as good.  I had about a 2.9, unfortunately as I began as pre-med and hated it, so lots of my classes I did not do well in.  However, after I changed majors things got better and all but a calculus class that I got a C in were history, but I still had a few that were not good.  I am retaking a few of those classes with the hope of making my records look better.  My question here is would they look at both grades, or just the better of the two for the classes that I retook?  Also, would my completed Masters have any help on my record?  Would my masters' even be something that they consider?  I read from the last posts that it may help with scholarships, but I am curious to see if maybe there is anythign else I should know.  I am planning on taking the LSAT in September adn entering school the fall of 2010.  So, anything is good to know. 
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question from a pre-law regarding masters and undergrad
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
Masters degrees are generally considered soft factors, so they help some, but not a ton. And the schools will be looking at your UG GPA.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »
Hmmm.  Mine wasn't that great.  I am retaking two classes that I didn't do well in, so hopefully it will help.  If I study really hard for the LSAT, will it really help a whole lot?
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »
Unfortunately, your previous grades in the classes you are retaking will be factored into your UG GPA by LSAC.  LSAC factors in all grades, even those in classes which you retook.  Also, since it seems you already have your UG degree, LSAC will not factor in the new grades for the classes you are taking now.

Dominate the LSAT.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »
Thanks for making that clearer.  Hopefully, then they will see that I at least tried to improve and that should help their decision.  In the meantime, I am gonna knock out the LSAT then.  I guess I better get to the board on that for tips on how to get a high score.

John F. Kennedy

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:30:59 AM »
uh oh.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
Haha.  Fortunately it's nothing that one cannot handle.

John F. Kennedy

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
one what?

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
Very funny

John F. Kennedy

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:37 PM »
thank you.  julie try.

but still:  one what?