Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LLM @ T2  (Read 1853 times)

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LLM @ T2
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
My school is offering all LLM programs to the 2009 grads for a discounted price of $9000 for the year.  The school is Loyola Chicago.  I am not sure well their tax program is ranked/regarded but this is a phenomenal price for an LLM.  Would it be worth it?  Ideally, I would like to work for the fed gov (IRS in particular).  Thanks in advance.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: LLM @ T2
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
From what I hear, getting a job at the IRS is next to impossible now- even for GULC and NYU tax LLM graduates. Problem is that private firms are not hiring (not even accounting firms) so everyone and their brother is applying to the IRS instead.

I would get started in practice and get the llm later, once things improve. $9k might be cheap, but don't factor out the opportunity cost.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
Tough call.  Depends what your other options are.  If you have no job lined up, you might as well do it.  If you can pass the bar in July and get some experience while getting your LLM, that might be another option.  If you can't get a job with the LLM, at least you will have a lot of tax knowledge and could possibly hang a shingle if you're willing to take the risk.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
Thanks.  If anything, this will buy me some time until I have to pay back loans. :P