Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What materials do I bring to class in law school?  (Read 807 times)

jhandin

• View Profile
    • Email
What materials do I bring to class in law school?
« on: May 05, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »
Hey,

I'll be starting law school in August.  I'm sure these topics will be covered at orientation, but I'm curious now.

What are the typical items brought to class on any given day of class?  Laptop?  Textbooks?  Anything specific that has helped you in the past?  Do students find it easier to take all notes on a laptop?

Also, they say that for every hour of class you have each day, that is 2 hours of studying you must do.  Why so much studying?  What kind of studying is there to do?  Outlining?  Reading?  Please explain.

Thank you in advance!!
Deciding Between/Waiting On: Hofstra, Southwestern, Arizona, FSU, UC Irvine
c/o 2012

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What materials do I bring to class in law school?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
Hey,

I'll be starting law school in August.  I'm sure these topics will be covered at orientation, but I'm curious now.

What are the typical items brought to class on any given day of class?  Laptop?  Textbooks?  Anything specific that has helped you in the past?  Do students find it easier to take all notes on a laptop?

Also, they say that for every hour of class you have each day, that is 2 hours of studying you must do.  Why so much studying?  What kind of studying is there to do?  Outlining?  Reading?  Please explain.

Thank you in advance!!

Laptop and class book will be fine.

It's much easier to take notes on a laptop, though also easier to get distracted. However, it's not necessarily a bad thing to stop paying attention for a few minutes here or there, especially when other students are spinning a hypo out of control.

The first semester, you need to read just about everything and that takes a ton of time. Factor in outlining and (if you do it) book note taking, and that's most of your time right there.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What materials do I bring to class in law school?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:50:33 PM »
Did you make a decision on the school?