Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggest schools which fit my profile?  (Read 2008 times)

hoya2010

• View Profile
Suggest schools which fit my profile?
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »
I'm new to this and would like advice on where I should apply, since I only decided to apply to law school on a whim. I've been getting non-stop inquiries about it from friends and parents, and I don't even know where to start. Obviously I know I shouldn't finalize my list until I take the LSAT score, but I want to be able to plan ahead somewhat.

Non-URM with a 3.6 at Georgetown University, majoring in Government with a minor in a non-native non-western language (something I'm really proud of and I think sets me apart). I'm taking the June LSAT with a predicted score ~170 (I've taken three full-length test-prep-company diagnostic tests with my scores being 170, 175, and 176, so who knows how it's actually gonna turn out).

My dream schools would be Georgetown, UChicago, Northwestern, or Cornell -- is it even worth it to bother applying to these places since my GPA isn't that great? Should I aim lower? Does it matter that I'm coming from a hyper-competitive undergraduate background instead of getting a 3.9 at StateU? My dad wants me to apply to HLS, but isn't that a total pipe dream?

Although people say that "you might as well apply!" I really don't want to go through the whole process of blanketing every top-14 school if it's only going to stress me out. I'd like to find some matches (WashU?) and a few reaches. Can you help me?

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest schools which fit my profile?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »
I'm new to this and would like advice on where I should apply, since I only decided to apply to law school on a whim. I've been getting non-stop inquiries about it from friends and parents, and I don't even know where to start. Obviously I know I shouldn't finalize my list until I take the LSAT score, but I want to be able to plan ahead somewhat.

Non-URM with a 3.6 at Georgetown University, majoring in Government with a minor in a non-native non-western language (something I'm really proud of and I think sets me apart). I'm taking the June LSAT with a predicted score ~170 (I've taken three full-length test-prep-company diagnostic tests with my scores being 170, 175, and 176, so who knows how it's actually gonna turn out).

My dream schools would be Georgetown, UChicago, Northwestern, or Cornell -- is it even worth it to bother applying to these places since my GPA isn't that great? Should I aim lower? Does it matter that I'm coming from a hyper-competitive undergraduate background instead of getting a 3.9 at StateU? My dad wants me to apply to HLS, but isn't that a total pipe dream?

Although people say that "you might as well apply!" I really don't want to go through the whole process of blanketing every top-14 school if it's only going to stress me out. I'd like to find some matches (WashU?) and a few reaches. Can you help me?

No sense in talking about the list in too much detail, but with a 3.6/170, Georgetown/Northwestern/Cornell should be well within reach.  Chicago might be a little outside your window, but would still definitely be worth applying to. 

Good luck!  :)
BL
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:19:22 AM »

Take the LSAT first. With a 3.6/170 those schools would be possible, but not for sure. Whereas, it's honing in on "for sure" if you pocket a 176. HLS is a pipe dream in all likelihood either way given your GPA. It's hard to decide what your matches/reaches/safeties should be until you get your scores, though. It'd also be helpful to know what qualities in a school are of importance to you. And where in the country you want to be.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:43:12 AM »
Any chance of getting the GPA to a 3.8 and getting into GULC via early assurance?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »
I agree with previous posters.  We'll reserve comment until you have a real LSAT.

Why is your dream school UChicago?

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »
I don't really have any advice as to what schools are suited for you because I think each person has their own reasons for choosing a law school.  However, there are a couple of things in your post that maybe should be considered before you go into all-out LSAT study mode.

...I only decided to apply to law school on a whim.

I don't really understand this.  Did you just wake up and decide one day that being called a lawyer would sound kind of cool?  I'm not mocking you at all... just pointing out that most law schools (ESPECIALLY some of the ones you listed) would leave you with $130,000 of debt.  When getting caught up in things, it is easy to become desensitized to these kind of numbers, but think about how much money that is.  It is a huge debt to pick up on a whim- ask yourself why you want to go to law school.

I will echo some of the other posts by saying it is impossible to know what to expect without an LSAT score.  I wouldn't bother with the diagnostic tests that the publishing companies put out- I've found many of them are easier than actual tests, but, more importantly, they don't follow the exact question format as well as they could.  When you study for the LSAT, use actual tests.  I promise you won't regret it.

Other than that, good luck.  Applying to law school is a sometimes frustrating, often exciting and always painstaking path.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:15:01 PM »
Although people say that "you might as well apply!" I really don't want to go through the whole process of blanketing every top-14 school if it's only going to stress me out.
Honestly?  If simply applying to law school is going to "stress you out" too much, then perhaps attending it really isn't a good idea.  Everything about law school, especially the grading system, is competitive.

I'm taking the June LSAT with a predicted score ~170 (I've taken three full-length test-prep-company diagnostic tests with my scores being 170, 175, and 176, so who knows how it's actually gonna turn out).
As TopCat said, MANY people score a heckuva lot less on the real test than the practice one.  This "I-scored-170-on-the-practice-test-but-scored-150-something-on-the-real-one" tale is one of the most common posts on this site.  The most common cause, in my opinion, is people not properly timing themselves during the practice tests.

At the risk of sounding snarky, I'm curious why you think you couldn't get into some really good law schools with a possible 99% LSAT and a 3.5+ GPA?  Surely you'd get into at least one top 20 school, probably several, and this information is readily available.  I would be more concerned about understanding why you really want to attend law school; it's definitely not something that should be done "on a whim."

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
Hoya,

With those credentials, you have to apply to Harvard. Believe me, it's not a pipe dream.  I got in with an LSAT score lower than 170.  Moreover, a 3.6 at Georgetown is far more impressive than a similar GPA at State U and right on par with or equal to a 3.9 at State U.  Law Schools assign weights to GPAs (in an intricate formula with your LSAT score) depending on which school you went to.  Thus, a high GPA from Georgetown is weighed heavier than a high GPA from State U. 

Do not leave Harvard out.  Apply to the top tier schools and apply to Harvard as well.  If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.  I've been through the process, and I can give you some advice.

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »
Oh, and great decision taking the LSAT in June. 

Here's another hint of advice: send in all your application materials in early October.  Don't wait until the deadline.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Hoya,

With those credentials, you have to apply to Harvard. Believe me, it's not a pipe dream.  I got in with an LSAT score lower than 170.  Moreover, a 3.6 at Georgetown is far more impressive than a similar GPA at State U and right on par with or equal to a 3.9 at State U.  Law Schools assign weights to GPAs (in an intricate formula with your LSAT score) depending on which school you went to.  Thus, a high GPA from Georgetown is weighed heavier than a high GPA from State U. 

Do not leave Harvard out.  Apply to the top tier schools and apply to Harvard as well.  If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.  I've been through the process, and I can give you some advice.

Where is "This is Wrong" when you need him?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French