Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Difference Among Schools Within the Same Tier  (Read 1558 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Difference Among Schools Within the Same Tier
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Had to work it in. :)

Yeah, I was expecting it!  :D

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
I'll third the request to know where you went/go to school.  I think I asked for your "story" in another thread, but no response.  You're done with school, right?  Did you end up doing doc review as a contract attorney (guessing b/c of your username)?  I get a very JDU-ish vibe from your posts (e.g., the thread about community college students being dumber than others).

But yeah, I agree with your main point in this thread.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »
I'll third the request to know where you went/go to school.  I think I asked for your "story" in another thread, but no response.  You're done with school, right?  Did you end up doing doc review as a contract attorney (guessing b/c of your username)?  I get a very JDU-ish vibe from your posts (e.g., the thread about community college students being dumber than others).

WTH?  I am NOT doing document review.  Though, I must say that I have friends who are doing it or looking for it. They don't like it, but it's really a low stress job, but, once the project is over, they are unemployed.   

I never said that community college students are dumber. I was being realisitic in saying that virtually all community college students don't have what it takes to get into a Top 14 law school.  What's so wrong about that statement?  I can safely say that virtually all college students don't have what it takes to get into a top 14 law school.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »

WTH?  I am NOT doing document review.  Though, I must say that I have friends who are doing it or looking for it. They don't like it, but it's really a low stress job, but, once the project is over, they are unemployed.   

Well, what's your story?  What are you doing?  I didn't mean to insult you with the doc review question.  You just have a lot of posts echoing T14 or bust (or, at least, "don't go to a lower ranked school").  I just assumed you either a) are an elitist, or b) went to a lower ranked school and are not happy with you career prospects.  I was hoping it was the latter (I'd have more respect for that).

I definitely agree with the message you try to convey--0Ls should have accurate expectations about the legal job market, especially coming from a lower ranked school.  But, like I said, I just get a very JDU-ish vibe from  your posts.

I never said that community college students are dumber. I was being realisitic in saying that virtually all community college students don't have what it takes to get into a Top 14 law school.  What's so wrong about that statement?  I can safely say that virtually all college students don't have what it takes to get into a top 14 law school.

I'd hate to drudge up that argument, but I'll just say that I thought your post was over-simplified and extremely harsh.  The OP of that thread asked a question about whether he should transfer from his community college to some state school in Florida or GWU (with the main consideration being pre-law school debt vs. school rank).  He made some statement about the LSAT being a "learnable" test, which may or may not be correct, and this was your response:

From everything I've read, the LSAT is a learnable test. Anyone who is willing to put in the hard work can, theoretically, do well on the test.

Anyone?  Are you kidding me? I believe the average graduates from USF (the self-selected few) who decided to go to law school and took the LSAT score average about 148.  You as a community college graduate who transfer there would be lucky to have that average score. 

Could you be the exception. Someone who have near perfect 4.0 and beats everyone else?  Possibly, but unlikely.  To be totally and brutally honest, getting into a top 14 for you is just a dream. 

Here was a guy/gal who hadn't even taken the LSAT, and you assumed that he could not get into a T14 law school because he spent two years at a community college.  You didn't say community college kids are dumber, no.  Maybe I mischaracterized your point.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
I just assumed you either a) are an elitist, or b) went to a lower ranked school and are not happy with you career prospects.  I was hoping it was the latter (I'd have more respect for that).

You would have more respect for me if I had attended a tier 4 law school and currently not happy with my job?  If that's the case, I am sorry to disappoint you   8)

Here was a guy/gal who hadn't even taken the LSAT, and you assumed that he could not get into a T14 law school because he spent two years at a community college.  You didn't say community college kids are dumber, no.  Maybe I mischaracterized your point.

Telling him/her that he/she has a shot at top 14 law school is like telling some randome high school student at some random public school that he has a shot at Princeton. 

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »
Telling him/her that he/she has a shot at top 14 law school is like telling some randome high school student at some random public school that he has a shot at Princeton
He/She can do whatever they strive to achieve!  :P