Law School Discussion

Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?

This is wrong.

• Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
Re: Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:02 AM »
I'm going to dissect the OP and then provide the analysis.  If you still don't get it then, well... @#!* off and die.

It seems like Third Tier law schools can do nothing right. In this semester’s Drake University Law School Business Associations exam taught by Professor Dore’s, the pages in the exam packets were so woefully out of order that students taking the exam were completely unaware of the last two and most heavily weighted questions on the exam. The pages preceding the last two pages containing those questions were actually a repeat of the “instructions page” (incompetently inserted into some students packets at least three times) making it appear that the students were almost finished when there were actually 2 more pages waiting for them. In other words, as the students were looking through the pages and saw the repeat of the instructions they assumed the torture was almost over. By the time Dean Henin and other students realized the error, the students had an hour to answer questions with suggested times totaling an hour and half. Not big deal if it happened to everyone right? Think again. In another stroke of Third Tier School genius, 2L and 3L exams are self-scheduled—never mind the concerns about cheating because that would be too obvious—so only a few (un)lucky ones were affected while everyone else gets to pleasure of taking the exam without having to play scavenger hunt for questions.

The Deans haven’t issued a resolution to problem but it wouldn’t be surprising if they blamed the error on a Third Tier copy machine.

In this economy—filled with associate deferrals, layoffs, and forced pay-cuts—students at smaller Third Tier schools like Drake are already at a disadvantage in a secondary market like Iowa.  Let’s hope the Deans don’t punish the responsible students who prepared diligently for the exam to take it early while letting procrastinating members of the course enjoy the benefit of a correctly proctored exam earned on the backs of an unlucky few, like myself.

-Anonymous

The Steps

1.  Pages were out of order in the exam.
2.  The instructions page was inserted numerous times in the wrong spots, leading to confusion.
3.  Some students missed the last two questions because of this error... that is, until they had an hour left (rather than the allotted hour and a half).
4.  This was an administration of a self-scheduled exam.
5.  As a result, only a small proportion of students taking the exam experienced this series of events.
6.  Putative: Early exam takers are diligent while later (self-scheduled) exam takers are procrastinators.
7.  Putative: The procrastinators will benefit from this error at the diligent's expense.

Do we agree on this so far?  I would find it difficult to believe that we don't agree on this much.  It's all right there in the post above.

The Analysis

So whose fault is it?  You posed this as the central dilemma earlier, and I don't think anyone really disagrees.

1.  It's not the students' fault that the exam was out of order.  That much is certain.  But that's not the issue.
2.  The issue is this: could the students have prevented any part of this?  The answer is simple: yes.  A quick scan of the exam would have revealed the flaws.  At the most, it would've cost 5 minutes of their time. 
     [A.  Nowhere is it made clear just how many of the students actually made this mistake and lost out on half an hour of writing time.
     B.  We are thus left to assume that all of the students in this particular administration of the exam made this mistake.  I doubt this, but I'll let it go.]
3.  Did this place them at a disadvantage compared to students who took a correctly proctored exam?  Yes.  Slightly.  And here is the error of your argument.
4.  It is fallacious, once the result is known (i.e. that these students "lost" 30 minutes of exam time), to look back and assume that this result is the only (or the most likely) outcome of the particular set of circumstances listed above in Steps 1 and 2.  How does this apply?
5.  A very obvious, simple, and extremely common step would have salvaged the situation completely, putting this group of students on par with any of the other "procrastinators" who did not "suffer" from this odd set of circumstances.  This step, as exam takers are prompted to do before every exam, is to quickly read through the exam to make sure things are in order and things make sense.
6.  You know what?  Hey, that's exactly analogous to the anecdote I related!  You see...
7.  The "procrastinators" are irrelevant here.  They didn't get a substantially different exam.  According to the OP's story, they simply got an exam with a few less pages.  In other words, their exams didn't have duplicated instructions anywhere.  The questions were exactly the same.  They were in the same order.  They had the same time allotments.
8.  It's because of the ease, simplicity, and obviousness of the remedy that would have prevented any of this bitching and moaning (i.e. checking your exam before you plunge into it) that people in this thread who are normally extremely forgiving are turning to the "personal responsibility" argument you detest so much.
9.  That "argument", as you frame it, by the way, is a red herring.  These posters are empathetic.  Most of us have been through something similar.  It really, really sucks.  But given the parameters as framed by the OP, (a) the duplicate pages were really not that big a deal, and (b) the whole situation could've been avoided, so (c) why would you punish wholly innocent students for it?
(10.  Perhaps, if the OP is so "diligent", she might have been more "diligent" in reading through her exam before starting it?  Mmm?)

ETA:  Replaced a key word I accidentally erased before posting.

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
2:  it's not relevant because the oversight was yours.

Dude, the oversight here was the OP's, too.  Your argument is that there should be a remedy for the OP even though this  external factor -- the bad pagination -- affected the OP in a way that it likely did not affect other similarly situated students.  The OP's response to seeing the extra pages was obviously strange -- however understandable it might be if we take into account the pressure of exam time -- and she made a mistake.  You have to at least admit this.

You've completely mis-characterized what I was saying above. 

This discussion has become like a game of whack-a-mole.  One of you two makes some flagrant mis-characterization of my previous posts, I explain the mis-characterization and the cycle begins again. 

I don't think we're getting anywhere and I'm getting kind of bored with this.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »
2:  it's not relevant because the oversight was yours.

Dude, the oversight here was the OP's, too.  Your argument is that there should be a remedy for the OP even though this  external factor -- the bad pagination -- affected the OP in a way that it likely did not affect other similarly situated students.  The OP's response to seeing the extra pages was obviously strange -- however understandable it might be if we take into account the pressure of exam time -- and she made a mistake.  You have to at least admit this.

You've completely mis-characterized what I was saying above. 

How so?  (You may want to respond to this with specific attention to what I said about how the OP was only disadvantaged relative to other people who did not look through the test before starting to write.)

This discussion has become like a game of whack-a-mole.  One of you two makes some flagrant mis-characterization of my previous posts, I explain the mis-characterization and the cycle begins again. 

I don't think we're getting anywhere and I'm getting kind of bored with this.

This made me laugh for a number of reasons, most of all your extraordinary lack of self-awareness.

Also, there are more than two posters arguing with you in this thread.  I count at least SBA, This is wrong, goaliechica, ToTransferOrNot, Kiwiki, and myself.

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
Well, at least you're amused so this hasn't been a total loss for you.  Thank you so much for this lesson in self-awareness.

It has been a pleasure to be touched by your wisdom and your kindness. 

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
Well, at least you're amused so this hasn't been a total loss for you.  Thank you so much for this lesson in self-awareness.

It has been a pleasure to be touched by your wisdom and your kindness. 

I really don't know what you're on about!  You're the one who has consistently called people taking my position hypocrites and worse, and the OP, your heroine, is insulting her classmates who did absolutely nothing wrong, and yet you complain of my lack of kindness?  Give me a f-ing break!

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
jesus are you tightly wound.  I hereby grant your request. Please go ahead and take a break, it will be good for you.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »
jesus are you tightly wound.  please go ahead and take a break, it will be good for you.

lol, I love it.  You've been arguing with people about this for days, with a good deal of hysteria and completely unwarranted personal insults thrown in for good measure.  Plenty of posters in this forum have the standing to tell me that I'm too tightly wound, but I hardly think you're one of them.

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
"Plenty of posters in this forum have the standing to tell me that I'm too tightly wound, but I hardly think you're one of them."

lol

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
The hilarity of your cybermob mentality aside, where did he insult you?  Was it by glancingly referring to you as a "moralisticon?" What does that even mean?

And that you equate with "hysteria."

WTF is wrong with you?

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
jesus are you tightly wound.  please go ahead and take a break, it will be good for you.

lol, I love it.  You've been arguing with people about this for days, with a good deal of hysteria and completely unwarranted personal insults thrown in for good measure.  Plenty of posters in this forum have the standing to tell me that I'm too tightly wound, but I hardly think you're one of them.

what the hell is this?