Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?  (Read 16718 times)

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
There's a difference between lacking empathy and acknowledging that most things are not entirely fair. Also, you'll note that I mentioned that there may be ways to mitigate the damage, and if the school can come up with some way to do so, good for them.

At some point, people are going to have to start taking responsibility for themselves, rather than whining every time something happens that seems unfair.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
Thank you, counselor.  That will be all.

gators191

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:32:20 AM »
Exactly Susan. Personal responsibility.  Drake gets $30k out of those students a year and they cant staple pages sequentially?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »
Exactly Susan. Personal responsibility.  Drake gets $30k out of those students a year and they cant staple pages sequentially?

No one is arguing that it wasn't a stupid error.  The question is, what should the school or the professor do about it?  Obviously, the OP thinks that the curve should somehow be adjusted because she didn't devote the proper amount of time to each question.  That doesn't seem fair to the other students who read through the exam carefully and allotted their time before beginning to write.  It also doesn't seem fair to students who spent comparatively less time on the first question, on which the OP concentrated. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 12:49:21 AM »

the school has a responsibility to provide students with accurate and complete exams
Also, you'll note that I mentioned that there may be ways to mitigate the damage, and if the school can come up with some way to do so, good for them.

You might also note that I proposed a procedure change that could help prevent such cases in the future, because, at this point, there's little that can be done. For the record, though, I hope the school can find some way to deal with this that accounts for the issue that is also as fair as possible to students who take the exam later.

I have never maintained that the school isn't responsible for the error; however, the students had the ability, and the responsibility to themselves, to make sure that their exams were complete and correct to the best of their ability. This is not a dramatic miscarriage of justice; it is an unfortunate administrative error, and one that yes, may affect individuals negatively. It is not fair that students who take the exam later won't have to deal with the hassle. But it is also not something that it should be difficult for students to detect and deal with in a manner that doesn't require some adjustment of the grading scheme for the exam after the fact because of a reproduction error that was obvious to everyone taking the exam. (And yes, one would hope that it was obvious to the person responsible for assembling the exams, but the fact remains that it was not caught.)

hb0312

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 12:59:12 AM »
I totally agree Gators.  Personal responsibility...all the way.  Nice name by the way

gators191

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 01:06:07 AM »
When you pay someone to fix your car, do you check it over before you drive it? Or do you assume they did their job, fixed it, and drive away?

No further questions.

gators191

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 01:07:41 AM »
Go Gators!

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 01:08:42 AM »
When you pay someone to fix your car, do you check it over before you drive it? Or do you assume they did their job, fixed it, and drive away?

No further questions.

Oh goodness, but that's persuasive!

Nicely done.

hb0312

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 01:18:13 AM »
Are those legwarmers on that hedgehog?