Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?  (Read 15927 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »
I guess my point is that you lose a lot of credibility when you offer up conflicting, bullsh@t explanations for what you really meant to say (so far, I count at least 3 different, mutually exclusive explanations).  You could've just said:  "My bad.  I said that, but I shouldn't have.  That was lame."

What I mean is, you should at least take some personal responsibility for your own posting.

I did.  I said that my explanations were sloppily worded (if you'll pardon me for not taking this discussion incredibly seriously) and that I had blinders on about whether my usage was specialized.  What I do not understand is your theory that I am somehow lying about something that seems pretty plain to everyone else.  But seriously, if it makes you happier to think that someone is insulting your social status on the LAW SCHOOL DISCUSSION board than to believe that she just said something you misunderstood (perhaps because it wasn't phrased well), I don't know what to tell you.

ETA: It would make sense for you to say that my remark was unclear or I am a bad writer, but we can't have a legitimate argument about what I meant.  One of us is in a position to know with 100% certainty; the other can either take her word or go on feeling embattled without cause.  You have obviously made your choice, which is different from the one I would make.  So be it.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
"that seems pretty plain to everyone else"

I agree that what you meant is pretty obvious.  That's why I find your attempts to obfuscate so amusing.

Anyway, have a good summer.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
LOL, what did I tell you.  It's also pretty clear that P has the verbal acuity of granite.  It's amazing that they would let people like that into law schools anywhere, even TTT's.  No wonder this country is full of lawyers working at Starbucks.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »
LOL, what did I tell you.  It's also pretty clear that P has the verbal acuity of granite.  It's amazing that they would let people like that into law schools anywhere, even TTT's.  No wonder this country is full of lawyers working at Starbucks.

Yes, that's why the legal job market is in shambles.  It's because I wrote something stupid that you misunderstood on the LAW SCHOOL DISCUSSION board.  In any case, I do give you credit for making the argument I suggested, that I am a poor writer, instead of the argument you can't win, that I actually meant X or Y and not Z.  Kudos.

Also, the phrase "verbal acuity" made my eye twitch. 

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »
"Also, the phrase "verbal acuity" made my eye twitch."

LOL.  Yeah, I'm sure.  In fact, I'm confident that most polysyllabic words make your head hurt, your eyes water and your pants wet.

Double macchiato, sweetheart.  And I'll take that tiny tin of mints for $16.50 while you're at it.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »
"Also, the phrase "verbal acuity" made my eye twitch."

LOL.  Yeah, I'm sure.  In fact, I'm confident that most polysyllabic words make your head hurt, your eyes water and your pants wet.

Double macchiato, sweetheart.  And I'll take that tiny tin of mints for $16.50 while you're at it.

1. I think you meant "agility" or "skill," not "acuity," which is about perception.  You were trying to suggest that I don't transmit information well, but acuity has to do with receiving information, not transmitting it.

2. Acuity is strongly associated with vision.  As such, the phrase was a figurative mismatch of the human capacities for sight and speech.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
Lord.

P, I am sorry, although I don't believe in personal responsibility, that you are stuck dealing with these twits.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »
Lord.

P, I am sorry, although I don't believe in personal responsibility, that you are stuck dealing with these twits.

:D  It's my own damned fault.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »
No, actually I meant "verbal acuity."  I agree that you have problems both receiving and transmitting information, but that's beside the point.  You should probably know what you're talking about before you post.  That way, you'll look like less of an ass.

For examples of usage, see below.  Although it might be proper to start with a dictionary.

http://www.academon.com/lib/paper/104500.html

http://www.amazon.com/Verbal-Command-Expand-Vocabulary-Success/dp/1591507669

http://thelearnersguild.wordpress.com/2008/09/07/verbal-acuity-and-the-informal-learner/

etc.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
Lord.

background noise.