Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?  (Read 17267 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Drake Law Faculty Bumbles Writing Exams, Will Students Suffer?
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »
You're a scab-picker, eh? 

In short:  I wasn't ever offended, didn't really understand but really really do not want to go there.

To be honest, I did not read your remark about standing to mean that I would not have standing to bring a law suit against you for being tightly wound.  I read your use of "standing" as the plain and ordinary meaning not the legal one.  That's how I read it, maybe not how you meant it. 

To be honest, I find that very confusing and I do not want to revisit it for no better reason than to avoid the firestorm of incredibly personal and inane discussion that followed. 

Actually, I wanted to clarify because I am a nice person and I didn't want you to have the wrong idea about why I have disagreed with you and been dismissive of some of your positions.  I figured it was clear to anyone remotely more reasonable than PILOFILO, but since you had brought it up kind of ambiguously, I wanted to make sure.  I suppose you can classify that as scab-picking if you wish. 

And not that I should have to explain this since obviously you weren't filing a lawsuit against me, but I didn't mean "legal standing" in any sort of literal or technical sense.  Sheesh.  I meant, "You're hardly in the position to tell me . . . "  And in case that is itself unclear, by "position," I meant not position on some imaginary social hierarchy, but position with respect to the question at issue.  I honestly found it hard to believe that this would be confusing for any culturally literate person, particularly one with a year or more of law school under his belt.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
"I honestly find it hard to believe that this would be confusing for any culturally literate person, particularly one with a year or more of law school under his belt."

That's kind of an obnoxious thing to say.  Anyway, I'm leaving this where it is.  You can have it.  You can also feel free to call me "culturally illiterate," ignorant or whatever. 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/standing

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
"I honestly find it hard to believe that this would be confusing for any culturally literate person, particularly one with a year or more of law school under his belt."

That's kind of an obnoxious thing to say.  Anyway, I'm leaving this where it is.  You can have it.  You can also feel free to call me "culturally illiterate," ignorant or whatever. 

I see how it came off badly.  That's not what I meant, though.  I meant that I didn't realize my comment would be confusing to you because I had blinders on about whether my usage was specialized.  Again, I understand why you took it the way you did because I worded it sloppily, but I was actually trying to say that I assume you are culturally literate, just as I assume you have had at least a year of law school under your belt.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
I don't believe in personal responsibility! First Amendment Says!

(hi all.)

(no, but, like, actually. it's jon hanson's fault.)
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/standing

I don't know what you intend this to say.  I was referring to either sense 3 or sense 6 5, which I assumed one could gather from context.  Frankly, I think it revealing of other people's insecurities that they would twist this into some kind of assessment of a social hierarchy on a LAW SCHOOL DISCUSSION board.  In any case, I only commented because you had brought it up again.  I was trying to be friendly, but I can see it didn't go over well with you, so I'll leave it be.  I hope you are a little less prickly in real life.

ETA: I have been corrected; I meant 5, not 6.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »
No, I'm way worse in real life.  My eyes glow bright red and I breathe fire.

#6?  Really?  I should have seen that. 

Of course you weren't hitting on definitions 1 and 2, even though these are the two most common meanings and they appear to be perfectly compatible with your post.  You're way too "nice" of a "culturally literate" person to be using the plain and ordinary meaning of the word. 

You weren't hitting on definition 3 in any literal sense because, of course, the idea that I could bring a law suit against your for being tightly wound is absurd.  This is despite the fact that you actually posted you were using the "legal" definition of standing and that this should be obvious because you were posting on a law school chat board. 

#'s 4 and 5 are out because we're all probably sitting down. 

No, obviously you were hitting on the 'ol law school chat board sporting analogy nexus in #6. You meant to refer to the "standings" of posters here because those "standings" provide "a listing of individual competitors or of teams in a league according to their record of performance" which would show that my comment about your being tightly wound was illegitimate.

(this is sarcasm)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2009, 02:51:16 PM »
No, I'm way worse in real life.  My eyes glow bright red and I breathe fire.

#6?  Really?  I should have seen that. 

Of course you weren't hitting on definitions 1 and 2, even though these are the two most common meanings and they appear to be perfectly compatible with your post.  You're way too "nice" of a "culturally literate" person to be using the plain and ordinary meaning of the word. 

You weren't hitting on definition 3 in any literal sense because, of course, the idea that I could bring a law suit against your for being tightly wound is absurd.  This is despite the fact that you actually posted you were using the "legal" definition of standing and that this should be obvious because you were posting on a law school chat board. 

#'s 4 and 5 are out because we're all probably sitting down. 

No, obviously you were hitting on the 'ol law school chat board sporting analogy nexus in #6. You meant to refer to the "standings" of posters here because those "standings" provide "a listing of individual competitors or of teams in a league according to their record of performance" which would show that my comment about your being tightly wound was illegitimate.

(this is sarcasm)

Oops, sorry, I meant 5 -- place where someone stands, i.e., your position.  I got the number wrong.  Anyway, carry on.  I really don't quite understand what you think I meant, but we obviously don't communicate well and my efforts to clarify aren't helping.  Good day.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
Oh, so now you mean #5?  But that, of course, would have to mean some crazy nuanced, figurative interpretation of "A place where a person or thing stands." 

Still, let's try it out...

"Plenty of posters in this forum have the [place where a person or thing stands] to tell me that I'm too tightly wound, but I hardly think you're one of them."

To the culturally illiterate dumbass, that appears to makes no sense in the context of your original post whatsoever.  I suppose it's just a coincidence that 1, the most commonly used meaning, fits so well:

1a:  "Plenty of posters in this forum have the [Status with respect to rank, reputation, or position in society or a profession] to tell me that I'm too tightly wound, but I hardly think you're one of them."

1b:  "Plenty of posters in this forum have the [High reputation; esteem;  standing in the community] to tell me that I'm too tightly wound, but I hardly think you're one of them."

Just pure blind unfortunate luck that serves to confuse us culturally illiterate, prickly and legally inept folk.

I probably don't have to mention this, but lol.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2009, 03:13:21 PM »
Oh, so now you mean #5?  But that, of course, would have to mean some crazy nuanced, figurative interpretation of "A place where a person or thing stands."  That makes no sense in the context of your original post whatsoever.  I suppose it's just a coincidence that only 1 and 2 make sense in your original post.  Just pure blind unfortunate luck that serves to confuse us culturally illiterate, prickly and legally inept folk.

I probably don't have to mention this, but lol.

Dude, for the last time, I didn't call you culturally illiterate or legally inept.  My post assumed that you were culturally literate.  I understand that the way I wrote it was ambiguous, but I explained full well exactly what I meant.  If you choose not to believe me, that's on you.

Also, for all the talk of how this thread got deeply personal, the only direct personal remarks I made about other posters were that you and PILOFILO were being rude, a comment on your behavior and not on your character or life.  You know why?  I don't know you or anything about you.  I also implied at one point that you were a little tightly wound, which was, again, a comment on your behavior in the thread, and not a personal insult.  Finally, yes, I called you prickly a few minutes ago.  If you want to know why, it's because you seem to be very sensitive about this obvious misunderstanding, and your posts are filled with hostility that I don't get.  I can't help you if you believe that there is a social hierarchy on a discussion board like this -- I mean, aren't we all losers in some sense if we're here? -- but I can certainly assure you that I don't believe there is one or care to implicate myself in any neurotic interwebs popularity contest.  I was seriously just saying that you didn't have standing to tell me I was tightly wound because you were pretty damned tightly wound yourself.  And the rest of the course of this thread just confirms my assessment.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2009, 03:17:02 PM »
I guess my point is that you lose a lot of credibility when you offer up conflicting, bullsh@t explanations for what you really meant to say (so far, I count at least 3 different, mutually exclusive explanations).  You could've just said:  "My bad.  I said that, but I shouldn't have.  That was lame.  I was just going off at the time."  I would have.  Instead, you make up all this elaborate nonsense and spew insults.

What I mean is, you should at least take some personal responsibility for your own posting.