Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Does Torture Bother So Many People?  (Read 11801 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Why Does Torture Bother So Many People?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 06:52:08 PM »
torture illegal.  period.

what more need?

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
President Obama mentioned how P.M. Churchill did not allow the torture of German POW's in WWII, despite the fact that Britain was being regularly bombed by German aircraft.
Historically, however, the anti-torture position is more strongly supported when the combatants look alike (just as social safety nets are more commonly accepted in homogeneous societies).  If the bulk of the detainees were white Europeans, how do you think the public response would be different?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »
Oh, for Pete's sake, Wally.  [tag]
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
Well, you know, people go to law school.  That's like torture, right?
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:10 PM »
In fairness, while I am not equivocal about condemning torture, I think it's a fair question to ask* and  good conversation to have. It's easy to take first principles for granted, and it's worth sitting down and thinking critically about.

*Although in classic Wally manner, he has not asked it in a neutral "let's have a conversation" type of way. I'm willing to chalk that up to grandstanding  :P
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
I think it's hard to argue for any kind of "principles" or "dignity" when discussing torture. Our country trains a large group of people to kill others because they are from another country. That's what war is. We blow people up, stab them, shoot them, drop bombs on them, etc. To me, using harsh interrogation techniques is just a nasty side note of this unfortunate reality. It's hard to see the logic in thinking its ok to disembowel somebody on the battlefield, but it's not ok to hold a wet towel on their face. It's all equally horrible.

It just occurred to me, btw, that this reminds me a lot of John Locke's rationalization for why slavery is okay.  "We can kill people, so we can do something less bad to them."
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »
I think it's hard to argue for any kind of "principles" or "dignity" when discussing torture. Our country trains a large group of people to kill others because they are from another country. That's what war is. We blow people up, stab them, shoot them, drop bombs on them, etc. To me, using harsh interrogation techniques is just a nasty side note of this unfortunate reality. It's hard to see the logic in thinking its ok to disembowel somebody on the battlefield, but it's not ok to hold a wet towel on their face. It's all equally horrible.

It just occurred to me, btw, that this reminds me a lot of John Locke's rationalization for why slavery is okay.  "We can kill people, so we can do something less bad to them."

Well, I don't know if I agree with those words. I'm equally against war, torture, and slavery. I'm pretty sure you are as well, based on some of your previous comments. I would write more, but I'm feeling incredibly inarticulate at the moment. I imagine there are some people on this board who think I'm like that all the time in all of my posts. Oh well.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 10:14:54 PM »

Well, I don't know if I agree with those words. I'm equally against war, torture, and slavery. I'm pretty sure you are as well, based on some of your previous comments. I would write more, but I'm feeling incredibly inarticulate at the moment. I imagine there are some people on this board who think I'm like that all the time in all of my posts. Oh well.

I guess that I'm more against torture or slavery than I am against war actually.  Against all of them in general though.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
It's easy to take first principles for granted, and it's worth sitting down and thinking critically about.

*Although in classic Wally manner, he has not asked it in a neutral "let's have a conversation" type of way. I'm willing to chalk that up to grandstanding  :P

I agree with this.  It's good to discuss. 

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »
They say it's good to question accepted truths to prevent them from becoming dogma.  :)