Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of Miami  (Read 2888 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U of Miami
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
I am no Paris Hilton (If I was that rich, I would prob be doing something else with my life) but the cost isn't exactly my utmost concern either. (I'm fortunate that my parents are willing to pay for my education) I am more interested in the quality of education and reputation of these schools.(as well as living condition). I know this is totally irrelevant, but most of the people around me have never really heard about FSU. Of course they all know UM because it's a pretty famous school. Another thing that kinda bothers me is that FSU is a state school but not as good as UF while UM seems to have a solid reputation nationwide despite being private institution. I could be wrong about all these. So, if it wasn't for the cost factor, people would choose UM over FSU right? BTW Thanks for the feedback.  :)

How rich are your parents?  Just millionaires or multi-millionaires?  If the latter, choose UM.  There are tons of rich and preppy kids at UM and if you're rich, you will fit in.  FSU and UF have more middle and even working class kids. 

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
I am no Paris Hilton (If I was that rich, I would prob be doing something else with my life) but the cost isn't exactly my utmost concern either. (I'm fortunate that my parents are willing to pay for my education) I am more interested in the quality of education and reputation of these schools.(as well as living condition). I know this is totally irrelevant, but most of the people around me have never really heard about FSU. Of course they all know UM because it's a pretty famous school. Another thing that kinda bothers me is that FSU is a state school but not as good as UF while UM seems to have a solid reputation nationwide despite being private institution. I could be wrong about all these. So, if it wasn't for the cost factor, people would choose UM over FSU right? BTW Thanks for the feedback.  :)

No. FSU still wins. In the game. In the classroom. In life.

LOL, I can't speak about law schools, but in the undergrad level UM destroys FSU in everything if tuition was the same. Except for hotter girls, which FSU is still tops in the state.

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
Thats what I meant. No one around me seems to know about FSU. I know this doesnt matter when we are discussing law school rankings, but still..

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »
Thats what I meant. No one around me seems to know about FSU. I know this doesnt matter when we are discussing law school rankings, but still..

Correct me if I am wrong, it seems that you care more about what you friends think than the actual quality of the school itself. 

Once again, FSU is ranked higher than UM.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, it seems that you care more about what you friends think than the actual quality of the school itself. 

Yeah, FSU is ranked higher, but everyone cares about lay-prestige (i.e., what your friends think. Peeps who say they don't are lying. Now, does that mean you should the school with the best lay-prestige? Of course not. That would be dumb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »

Yeah, FSU is ranked higher, but everyone cares about lay-prestige (i.e., what your friends think. Peeps who say they don't are lying. Now, does that mean you should the school with the best lay-prestige? Of course not. That would be dumb.

Does one want to pay $6,000 for the lay prestige, maybe, but $60K?  For Cornell, yes.  For Duke, yes.  UM, com'on now. 

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 07:25:48 AM »

Does one want to pay $6,000 for the lay prestige, maybe, but $60K?  For Cornell, yes.  For Duke, yes.  UM, com'on now. 

To be fair, rankings aren't everything. Personally, I am much more concerned about the career placement and average starting salary of graduates than what the school is ranked in some book. I am pretty sure UM actually has a higher starting salary than both UF and FSU even though FSU and UF are ranked higher.

That being said, I wouldn't go to UM Law myself. Its competitive as hell since you have to do well to find a good job, and I wouldn't be able to focus on school with all the things to do. If you really want a place where you can focus on law school and not feel like you are missing out on fun, to go Gainsville.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 11:31:36 AM »

To be fair, rankings aren't everything. Personally, I am much more concerned about the career placement and average starting salary of graduates than what the school is ranked in some book. I am pretty sure UM actually has a higher starting salary than both UF and FSU even though FSU and UF are ranked higher.

There are reasons for that and it's not because UM grads are superior.  It's due to many of UM kids are from northeast and when they return there, the salary is naturally higher than in Florida.  Many FSU stay in the northern Florida area where cost of living is cheaper and thus salaries are lower, not to mention that many FSU choose or naturally fall under public sector jobs. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »

No. FSU still wins. In the game. In the classroom. In life.

LOL, I can't speak about law schools, but in the undergrad level UM destroys FSU in everything if tuition was the same. Except for hotter girls, which FSU is still tops in the state.

Got me. Don't follow the UG scene very much. I know FSU usually ranks pretty highly in most everything, but I'd imagine Miami does too.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »

And in terms of lay-prestige, I'd say FSU and UM are about on par. Amazing what spending a few years stomping the *&^% out of every football team in the country can accomplish.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.