Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of Miami  (Read 2898 times)

lovelyjj

• View Profile
U of Miami
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »
This sounds like an odd question...but do Miami graduates do well in Miami? How do they do when they are compared with UF and FSU people? It seems like it's ranked a bit lower than both of those schools. Would I have a fairly good chance of getting a big law job after graduating from Miami? Also, is degree from Miami pretty much useless if I wanna work outside of Florida? Any thoughts or opinions on UM would be appreciated!  :)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U of Miami
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
Miami holds down Miami just fine, does good in the rest of the state (internally in Florida, it's considered on par with FSU and UF), and ports reasonably well nationally. Your shot at big law isn't real good, but it's as good as either of the other two.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »
UF is better.  Nevertheless, you can get a big law job coming from Miami IF you place in the top 10% of your class.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
UF is better.  Nevertheless, you can get a big law job coming from Miami IF you place in the top 10% of your class.

True and if someone rely or expect to be at the top 10% of his/her class, he/she is very naive. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »
What the other posters say is correct.  If you're not looking necessarily for "biglaw," UM's not a horrible choice, depending on how much you'd be paying for tuition and/or living expenses.

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
Is the same figure for UF and FSU significantly higher for their graduates? I was accepted by both FSU and Miami and bunch of other schools in Florida. If you guys have good knowledge on these schools' location, reputation, actualy placement rate, quality of living etc. Could you please explain why I should choose Miami over these schools?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:05:33 PM »
Is the same figure for UF and FSU significantly higher for their graduates? I was accepted by both FSU and Miami and bunch of other schools in Florida. If you guys have good knowledge on these schools' location, reputation, actualy placement rate, quality of living etc. Could you please explain why I should choose Miami over these schools?

If you're in-state, FSU is much cheaper than UM, and FSU does decently in the state.  UM, IIRC, is over 30 grand/yr.  That's exorbitant, especially since you'll also have to cover living expenses. 

If you want to work for the government in FL, FSU is also a good bet because it's located in the capital, Tallahassee.  The cost-of-living in Tallahassee will probably be much cheaper than Miami, although obviously it's a different culture there.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »

Cost is not a factor only if you're someone like Paris Hilton with tons of money or has rich parents.  Other than that, it's a BAD decision to add $60K more to your debt.  Add interest, it can easily be $100K more.  That's 4 or 5 brand new cars right there and countless weekends of billable hours if you do get a job at a firm after graduation.

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 02:11:49 AM »
I am no Paris Hilton (If I was that rich, I would prob be doing something else with my life) but the cost isn't exactly my utmost concern either. (I'm fortunate that my parents are willing to pay for my education) I am more interested in the quality of education and reputation of these schools.(as well as living condition). I know this is totally irrelevant, but most of the people around me have never really heard about FSU. Of course they all know UM because it's a pretty famous school. Another thing that kinda bothers me is that FSU is a state school but not as good as UF while UM seems to have a solid reputation nationwide despite being private institution. I could be wrong about all these. So, if it wasn't for the cost factor, people would choose UM over FSU right? BTW Thanks for the feedback.  :)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 02:54:01 AM »
I am no Paris Hilton (If I was that rich, I would prob be doing something else with my life) but the cost isn't exactly my utmost concern either. (I'm fortunate that my parents are willing to pay for my education) I am more interested in the quality of education and reputation of these schools.(as well as living condition). I know this is totally irrelevant, but most of the people around me have never really heard about FSU. Of course they all know UM because it's a pretty famous school. Another thing that kinda bothers me is that FSU is a state school but not as good as UF while UM seems to have a solid reputation nationwide despite being private institution. I could be wrong about all these. So, if it wasn't for the cost factor, people would choose UM over FSU right? BTW Thanks for the feedback.  :)

No. FSU still wins. In the game. In the classroom. In life.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.