Which school would you attend and why?

UNC (in-state)
 10 (76.9%)
Washington and Lee (sticker)
 1 (7.7%)
Vandy (wait-list)
 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: UNC, W&L or Vandy (wait-list)  (Read 2349 times)

Tar Heel 1

• View Profile
UNC, W&L or Vandy (wait-list)
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:59:24 PM »
NT

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: UNC, W&L or Vandy (wait-list)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:08:05 PM »
What makes you say that?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
UNC unless Vandy comes through.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
UNC unless Vandy comes through.

I am Contract2008 and I approve the above message. 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
In order to have a realistic chance at Vandy, I would need to register for the June LSAT, prep like crazy and increase my score 3-4 points. 

UNC. Not many people will be getting in off of waitlists this year.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »
I go to W&L and I'd have to say UNC on this one. If Vandy comes through though...go there.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:26:48 AM »
I go to W&L and I'd have to say UNC on this one. If Vandy comes through though...go there.

Any regrets choosing a private school that's not in the top 20?  Are you paying full price?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »

Care to elaborate?

1) UNC in-state will be WAY cheaper. I believe it's like 35-40k vs. 15k a year. That's at least 60k overall.

2) The schools are the same in the rankings now. Historically I think W&L might be seen as a little better, but it probably depends on who you are talking to. I really think your job prospects will come down to your grades, etc. more than which of these schools you attend. Thus, I think the price difference makes UNC a much smarter choice.

3) If you can get in-state at UNC, then I'm guessing you are from NC. Assuming you want to work in NC, UNC will give you at least equal opportunities there, but probably better. I get the feeling NC firms really like to take grads from NC law schools. Even if you don't want to stay in UNC, there's really no place that W&L would give you much of an advantage over UNC.

Like I said, though, if you get into Vandy...go there. It's essentially on par with Cornell and I think the boost would be worth it. Although this depends on what you want to do career-wise and where you want to end up.

It would help us give you advice if you elaborate a bit more on your background as well as your goals.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »

Care to elaborate?

1) UNC in-state will be WAY cheaper. I believe it's like 35-40k vs. 15k a year. That's at least 60k overall.

2) The schools are the same in the rankings now. Historically I think W&L might be seen as a little better, but it probably depends on who you are talking to. I really think your job prospects will come down to your grades, etc. more than which of these schools you attend. Thus, I think the price difference makes UNC a much smarter choice.

3) If you can get in-state at UNC, then I'm guessing you are from NC. Assuming you want to work in NC, UNC will give you at least equal opportunities there, but probably better. I get the feeling NC firms really like to take grads from NC law schools. Even if you don't want to stay in UNC, there's really no place that W&L would give you much of an advantage over UNC.

Like I said, though, if you get into Vandy...go there. It's essentially on par with Cornell and I think the boost would be worth it. Although this depends on what you want to do career-wise and where you want to end up.

It would help us give you advice if you elaborate a bit more on your background as well as your goals.

Why didn't you go to UNC yourself?  Didn't get in?  Any regrets choosing it over other schools?

Vandy is not at the same level as Cornell.  Cornell is ivy and with the name itself one can easily land biglaw in say Texas and Atlanta. Meaning, some firms will choose Cornell grad over UT grad and some will choose Cornell grad over Emory grad, but can you really say the same about Vandy?  Would a Texas firm choose a Vandy grad over a UT grad? 

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Vandy is not at the same level as Cornell.  Cornell is ivy and with the name itself one can easily land biglaw in say Texas and Atlanta. Meaning, some firms will choose Cornell grad over UT grad and some will choose Cornell grad over Emory grad, but can you really say the same about Vandy?  Would a Texas firm choose a Vandy grad over a UT grad? 

1) I still think Vandy is on par with Cornell. Is it exactly the same or better? Probably not, but it has dang good employment prospects. There's a poster on here who made their placements stats for the class of '08 (or '07?) available and they were impressive.

2) I don't think Texas firms would choose a Cornell student over a UT student every time. I think it would come down to grades/qualifications and the connection to the area. I was under the impression that UT carried a lot of weight in Texas.

3) Of course, Cornell is better than Emory. I'm not sure anyone would dispute that. Although I have to admit, if I wanted to work in Atlanta and had to choose between Cornell at sticker and a full ride or close to full ride at Emory, it would be a tough one. There's a lot to be said for the ability to network where you go to LS. Personally, I'd probably pick Cornell though because I'm a prestige whore.