Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minority at Majority White Institutions  (Read 2763 times)

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Minority at Majority White Institutions
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »
And it leaves many beautiful people out in the social cold, b/c, contrary to popular belief, many overweight people don't even like overweight people. 

I've had a few people try to set me up on blind dates before, and there seems to be this perception that because I'm fat I want to date a nice girl who is also fat.  What I want is a nice-looking girl who is also blind. 

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:46:41 AM »
I think anytime you're an outsider there is some of that fear. I know people will make the argument that racism is different, but that certainly played a big part in my decision not to apply to schools in the south (I'm gay), and before I went to the ASW I was worried about being surrounded by a bunch of rich kids (born with a silver spoon....) at Cornell (it was fine, more money than I'm used to being around, but not everyone, and most people have learned some decency about that stuff).
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:05 AM »
Not about skin color but arguably similar, as a practicing Jew I knew I wouldn't be comfortable at a school that didn't have a decent-sized practicing population.

Jews are White people. Not quite the same thing.

The "not about skin color but arguably similar" conceded that they are not the same thing.

However did I receive worse treatment from teachers and coaches growing up? yes.  Was I susceptible everyday of high school to violence from neo-nazis? yes.  Thus, arguably the same? No.  Arguably similar.  Thanks for playing.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
I'm white, but I've never had a problem being around groups that were all or almost all black/latino/asian.
Being Racist means having the socioeconomic and political power to exclude someone from crucial aspects of daily survival, such as employment or housing. By and large, people of color have no such power, and, as collectives, certainly lack that power completely on a large scale.

Didn't Blake tell you to stop doing this?

Defining a term around only P, and then claiming that J isn't racism because it's not P, doesn't do anything for the discussion of the term (e.g., racism).
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."