Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What IS a Legal Education?  (Read 837 times)

CuriousApplause

• View Profile
    • Email
What IS a Legal Education?
« on: May 03, 2009, 02:07:44 AM »
Hello,

I write as someone who has never idealized being a lawyer or, the legal process. My encounters with it have brusied me.   

But, I have had a lot of conversations with knowledgable policy people who say that if I am interested in educational issues and, public policy that a legal education makes sense and, maybe I can make lemonade of lemons.

I naturally have gravitated toward degrees in journalism, education and public-policy. Degrees considered more idealistic and, do-gooder than a legal one.  I know that some prominent legal experts  like Alan Derschowitz have advanced the idea that  the goal of a lawyer is 'disposing of disputes' instead of 'justice'. A reasonable, but, upsetting idea. 

How does law school change one's psyche and, the balance of ethics/spritiuality?

How does it change one's worldview?

What are the major subfields of being a lawyer? What specialties are there?  How similar are the preparation components?

Is it a good idea to get a legal education from a well-regarded law school even if one has no intent to practice? (I've gotten this advice)

In short, what are the nuts and bolts of legal education?

I hope my deeply ambivalent, perhaps slightly offensive candor is not taken personally. Thanks.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: What IS a Legal Education?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:27:39 AM »
Legal Education: The process of learning how to respond to every question with "It depends," and then laying out all the things that it depends on and why it depends on them.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Nobody can be told what the legal education is.

Take the blue pill and go back to your former life as you know it.
Take the red pill if you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
I second both of these replies.
UB Law 2012

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:24:48 PM »
Take an economics class before you ever go to law school.  There, you will learn about costs.  Specifically, you will learn about financial costs and opportunity costs.  Couple these ideas, and you will determine that wasting three years of your life and going $100,000+ in debt (you said you wanted a well-regarded school) are not the best decision for someone not wanting to enter a law-related field.

By the way, if you consider a degree in journalism "idealistic and do-gooder", you have never met a journalist.  I hope my deeply ambivalent, perhaps slightly offensive candor is not taken personally.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »
A legal education changes your mind forever.  It's the proverbial rabbit hole.  Once you go in, you're never getting out.  It helps expand your worldview, and it gives you a unique perspective on policy, politics, society, and relationships.  It even impacts the way you talk, think, and converse with other people.  I highly recommend it, even if you don't intend on using it.  It provides an understanding that many people don't have.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »
First two replies hit it on the head.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.