Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: opinion on Kansas Law?  (Read 2676 times)

2008safire

• View Profile
    • Email
opinion on Kansas Law?
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:51:36 AM »
Got accepted to KU Law, so far it is the only school in the top 100 i have been excepted to, but i am considering Howard because it has great placement and Wayne because it is respected in the mid-west.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: opinion on Kansas Law?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:32:17 AM »
Got accepted to KU Law, so far it is the only school in the top 100 i have been excepted to, but i am considering Howard because it has great placement and Wayne because it is respected in the mid-west.

Kansas is a good school. I'd take them over Howard or Wayne, unless you have moderate DC or fairly low MI aspirations. So in short, Kansas > Howard >>> Wayne.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

2008safire

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:47:32 PM »
Thanks I was already leanly strongly towards Kansas, but I just recieved a $25,000 scholarship offer to Wayne- very tempting- shame it's not renewable though.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »
Thanks I was already leanly strongly towards Kansas, but I just recieved a $25,000 scholarship offer to Wayne- very tempting- shame it's not renewable though.

Are you black,since you're considering Howard.

Why didn't you apply to University of Maine, University of Arkansas, and University of Indiana at Indianapolis?

cpeterson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:44:57 AM »
I'm from Kansas, went to undergrad there, was accepted to law but chose elsewhere for personal reasons. its well respected in the area, and as a state school it has name recognition. its a good choice, in my opinion.

blackberry123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 06:57:24 AM »
Yeah sure, you gotta think about it as an investment, a few thousand in the short run is never gonna compare to the differnce in career prospects between those institutions. You just gotta think long term, what do you, where do you want to be, and go from there.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:48:26 PM »
If I was you I would take the money personally at the place that offered you 25,000 if it is some place you were considering before the scholarship offer. I like my school currently, but at times I kick myself for not going to La Verne and getting a full scholarship.

At the end of the day I imagine Kansas is not really that much more respected outside of Kansas than any other school. Rankings are pretty irrelevant at the end of the day once you get outside the top 25-50 schools. If you want to live in Kansas then i imagine Kansas has a great rep in Kansas, but outside of that state I doubt anybody would consider a degree from Kansas that much better from any other school. I really think you should take money when you can unless you are going to an Ivy League or ELITE school, but that is my two cents.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
I would go with Kansas - especially if you're in-state.

DO NOT take the money at Wayne without reading your scholarship closely or asking questions about it.  T3s and T4s are notorious for imposing ridiculous GPA stipulations on scholarships (Some require you to stay within the top 25% of your law school class to retain the scholarship). 

Because you will be going to a non-T14 school, you will have to rely on regional employers.  Given that Kansas Law (1893) has been around longer than Wayne State (1927) and that Kansas is the top ranked law school in its state, I would recommend Kansas over Wayne, even with the scholarship.

Edit:
Just re-read your post and noted that your $25K scholarship at Wayne is non-renewable.  This makes your decision a no-brainer IMO.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
True read the stipulations of any scholarship carefully, some have ridiculous requirements to keep them and others are very reasonable it varies by school.  A lot of schools have a 3.0 requirement, but a getting a 3.0 in law school is nowhere near as easy as getting 3.0 in undergrad, so don't be deceived thinking you can easily maintain a 3.0, because it is very difficult in law school.

I think the real question is where you want to live Kansas or Wayne and basically any tier 2, 3, or 4 are generally regional so if you know what state you want to live in that is where you should go. If you want to live in Michigan then Wayne State is the better choice and if you want to live in Kansas then Kansas would definitely be best choice. I imagine Kansas is the most respected school by far in the state of Kansas. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
Got accepted to KU Law, so far it is the only school in the top 100 i have been excepted to,

One other thing DO NOT make your decision based on U.S. news rankings the whole system is a complete scam so that statement of going to a school in the top 100 is something you should not consider much. Outside of the top schools it varies year by year and the rankings are based on very few objective facts and it is so bad that the ABA, AALS, and LSAC adamantly tell you to IGNORE the rankings and claim they are a scam on their websites.  It is very possible Kansas can fall into tier 3 or even tier 4 schools change all the time. USF in the last 3 years has gone from 73 to a tier 3 to 98th. Once your outside of the TOP schools ranking is pointless adn the school is just regional so really be wary of making decisions based on rankings.