Law School Discussion

Poll

Will Obama Select a Woman to Replace Souter?

a. Yes
12 (85.7%)
b. No
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

bl825

• There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »
I vote yes, just because I think he probably believes that the Court is a bit skewed at 8-1.  I'm not saying perfect balance is an absolute requirement or anything, but at least one more woman would be nice, and I think the President probably feels the same way.

What do other people think?  :)

Re: Will Obama Select a Woman to Replace Souter?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »
I think it will be Sotomayor, or a random female politician/lawyer who is off the radar (sort of a liberal version of Miers or Palin or O'Connor). 

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
I think it will be Sotomayor, or a random female politician/lawyer who is off the radar (sort of a liberal version of Miers or Palin or O'Connor). 

wait a minute...

you just compared Harriet Miers and Sarah Palin to Sandra Day O'Connor?  Um.  Really?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:18:55 PM »

sonia sotomayor...  ;)  aye believe.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 05:26:39 AM »

wait a minute...

you just compared Harriet Miers and Sarah Palin to Sandra Day O'Connor? Um. Really?

julie think "off radar" key here.  and o'connor certainly off radar.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 05:29:10 AM »

sonia sotomayor... ;) aye believe.

wow.  it take so much insight repeat conventional wisdumb from traditional media.

bl825

• There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 07:12:01 AM »
No petty bickering, please.

"Today, as President Obama moves to pick his first Supreme Court nominee as a successor to retiring Justice David H. Souter ó a choice many political observers expect will be a woman ó he finds a vastly altered scene, with women holding dozens of seats on the nationís appellate courts, occupying deanís offices at prestigious law schools, and serving in some of the highest political offices in the nation."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/us/02search.html?hp

:)

zippyandzap

• Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »
I would hope he picks the person most qualified to interpret law, independent of demographics.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
I would hope he picks the person most qualified to interpret law, independent of demographics.

Considering that "most qualified" is pretty hard to define, and there are numerous candidates out there who are more than up to the job, it's not crazy to take demographics into account. Part of being the "most qualified" person, IMO, is bringing some perspective that the current court may be lacking. Life experience, intelligence, and ability to interpret the law are not so easily divided into separate compartments.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 11:12:41 AM »
Part of me hopes he picks Kim McLane Wardlaw to bring some West Coast flavor to SCOTUS.

The other part of me hopes he doesn't because I really wanted to attempt to clerk for her in California when the time came :)  This is, of course, rather stupid and selfish.  But it's the only negative I can think of ;D