Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are lawyers smarter than doctors? Than scientists? Than engineers?  (Read 20541 times)

NYCFed

• View Profile
Re: Are lawyers smarter than doctors? Than scientists? Than engineers?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »
There's something like 41 lawyers for every 1 engineer in the USA [citation needed].

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
FWIW

Which is nothing.

LOL that this is the "worst thread ever."  In fact, it's so bad that you have to follow it closely and periodically post in it just to make show everybody knows how little the opinions expressed here matter to you.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »
FWIW

Which is nothing.

LOL that this is the "worst thread ever."  In fact, it's so bad that you have to follow it closely and periodically post in it just to make show everybody knows how little the opinions expressed here matter to you.

Oh, no, at this point I think the thread has jumped the shark and started to become amazing. I hope it doesn't end anytime soon.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »
There's something like 41 lawyers for every 1 engineer in the USA [citation needed].

That's true, but there are a bunch of potential causes.  The first is that we, as a society, really don't make anything any more.  We don't manufacture that much.  So, aside from Boeing and Apple, we really don't need that many engineers.  Whether or not that's a good thing for our economy as a whole is a separate issue, but right now we've decided that only putzes and schmucks do real work and that we, as a nation, can get rich off financial services, fast food and real estate.  You don't need engineers for that stuff.

Another thing is that engineering/science is far more easily outsourced than law.  There are pharma companies with most of their chem labs in Bangalore (I know because I used to work for one).  Engineering/science only requires raw intelligence and fluency in math and science.  It does not require culturally specific knowledge or skills.  Lawyering does.  You cannot be a successful lawyer in America without understanding the culture and relating to your clients at least a little.  That's to say nothing of the fact that, in order to become an American lawyer, you have to spend $150k on an American legal education. Most countries with competitive engineers (e.g., India and China) have free education in the sciences for top students.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
FWIW

Which is nothing.

Oh, no, at this point I think the thread has jumped the shark and started to become amazing. I hope it doesn't end anytime soon.

I am posting this quote to show you I am completely, totally and utterly indifferent to your perspectives and opinions.  In fact, I didn't even read the above quote.  I didn't even look at it.  I'm not 100% sure it's even yours because I refuse to spend even 0.5 s of my life to make sure.

I didn't even notice the post and I do not care what you think.  Please take this post as proof of that.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »
Haha, I was not surprised when I just saw who posted this brilliant, "articulate" thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=4019189.msg5314394;topicseen

I almost forgot about this thread.  How can we possibly discuss whether lawyers are smarter than doctors when we haven't figured out the far more important question of whether or not chicks in law school are hotter than chicks in other professional/grad schools?

FWIW

Which is nothing.

I am posting this quote to show you I am completely, totally and utterly indifferent to your perspectives and opinions.  In fact, I didn't even read the above quote.  I didn't even look at it.  I'm not 100% sure it's even yours because I refuse to spend even 0.5 s of my life to make sure.

I didn't even notice the post and I do not care what you think.  Please take this post as proof of that.

And I'm going to drop these eggs out my window to demonstrate that the laws of gravity have been suspended in and around my apartment building.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »
Haha, I was not surprised when I just saw who posted this brilliant, "articulate" thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=4019189.msg5314394;topicseen

I almost forgot about this thread.  How can we possibly discuss whether lawyers are smarter than doctors when we haven't figured out the far more important question of whether or not chicks in law school are hotter than chicks in other professional/grad schools?

FWIW

Which is nothing.

And I'm going to drop these eggs out my window to demonstrate that the laws of gravity have been suspended in and around my apartment building.

1) on the other thread:  I agree that you have your priorities straight, but we already figured that one out.  The answer was "yes," law chicks are hotter.

2) I was being sarcastic, facetious and/or kind of a jerk.  It's a thing I do.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »

Surely you don't think I drop eggs out my window, do you?
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

PILOFOLO_REGIL

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »

Surely you don't think I drop eggs out my window, do you?

You look like the egg dropp'n kind.

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
[deleted]