Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Federal Honors Programs or other hiring  (Read 2252 times)

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Federal Honors Programs or other hiring
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
Hey guys,

I was recently screwed by a federal agency for a job (offer taken back -- not my fault).  Now I am in the very tough position of finding a job this late in the process.  Does anyone know of any federal agencies that are still hiring through honors programs?  I know that most ended in October or November unfortunately.

If not, do you know of any other federal agencies that are hiring entry-level attorneys still?

Thanks

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Federal Honors Programs or other hiring
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
That's lame.  Which agency rescinded?  That should not happen.  Please PM if you don't want to post.

www.usajobs.gov has postings for entry-level attorneys.  Looks like the Department of Education and Social Security Administration have openings right now for entry-level.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:53:07 PM »
All the HPs are done hiring as far as I know.  Here's an opening, though you need to apply within a week-
http://www.flra.gov/29-jobs.html

Fed gov't atty

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:47:23 AM »
I have a question. Won't you automatically be dinged if the job requires an "active membership with state bar X" since we haven't taken the bar yet? I know I have had this problem at the county level, HR just dings you automatically if you are not admitted yet.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:03:05 AM »
coquita - short answer, yes.  If they need someone that's already admitted now, they can't afford to offer you the job, wait several months, and then risk a) you not passing the bar, or b) you not getting security clearance in time.
Fed gov't atty

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:06:07 AM »
I have a question. Won't you automatically be dinged if the job requires an "active membership with state bar X" since we haven't taken the bar yet? I know I have had this problem at the county level, HR just dings you automatically if you are not admitted yet.

Yes.  Also, that is true for 95-99% of federal jobs other than those that have deadlines that have already passsed.  At the federal level, most entry level jobs are filled through honors programs or similar programs.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
That's what I figured, which is why I will only start looking for those jobs when I pass the bar, if my post-bar employer can't offer me a paid position after November. The state budget crisis SUCKS.