Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going rate at a boutique firm/secondary market  (Read 1863 times)

TH14

• View Profile
Going rate at a boutique firm/secondary market
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
So I will be working for a small firm in a secondary market during the summer.  I don't know how much I am getting paid, nor does the partner, so it seems.  He asked me to check the going rate, and it seems he will decide based on that.  Any idea where I can get such information?   

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Going rate at a boutique firm/secondary market
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
Tell him it's 3k a week  ;)

To answer your question, I don't think there really is a going rate. Probably varies quite a bit based on practice area and general success of the firm.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
Just to get some clarification: is it a boutique or is it a small firm?  I know it seems like there shouldn't be a difference but there is.  Boutiques do specialized high-end work and charge fees/pay associates in a way similar to the top big firms.  You can be a small firm without being a boutique.

If it's a boutique, the going rate would probably be whatever a first year associate would make per week.  You could look at NALPDirectory.com to see what that is for your market.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

TH14

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
Just to get some clarification: is it a boutique or is it a small firm?  I know it seems like there shouldn't be a difference but there is.  Boutiques do specialized high-end work and charge fees/pay associates in a way similar to the top big firms.  You can be a small firm without being a boutique.

If it's a boutique, the going rate would probably be whatever a first year associate would make per week.  You could look at NALPDirectory.com to see what that is for your market.

In that case it's a small firm, not a boutique...

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »

In that case it's a small firm, not a boutique...

Hmmm.  That makes it more complicated since it depends on what kind of firm it is.  The website I listed might still be useful in terms of figuring out what a first year attorney would make in a given market though, so that's probably a decent place to start.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.  :(
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.