Law School Discussion

Going rate at a boutique firm/secondary market

TH14

Going rate at a boutique firm/secondary market
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »
So I will be working for a small firm in a secondary market during the summer.  I don't know how much I am getting paid, nor does the partner, so it seems.  He asked me to check the going rate, and it seems he will decide based on that.  Any idea where I can get such information?   

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Going rate at a boutique firm/secondary market
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
Tell him it's 3k a week  ;)

To answer your question, I don't think there really is a going rate. Probably varies quite a bit based on practice area and general success of the firm.

bl825

• There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »
Just to get some clarification: is it a boutique or is it a small firm?  I know it seems like there shouldn't be a difference but there is.  Boutiques do specialized high-end work and charge fees/pay associates in a way similar to the top big firms.  You can be a small firm without being a boutique.

If it's a boutique, the going rate would probably be whatever a first year associate would make per week.  You could look at NALPDirectory.com to see what that is for your market.

TH14

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
Just to get some clarification: is it a boutique or is it a small firm?  I know it seems like there shouldn't be a difference but there is.  Boutiques do specialized high-end work and charge fees/pay associates in a way similar to the top big firms.  You can be a small firm without being a boutique.

If it's a boutique, the going rate would probably be whatever a first year associate would make per week.  You could look at NALPDirectory.com to see what that is for your market.

In that case it's a small firm, not a boutique...

bl825

• There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:02:37 PM »

In that case it's a small firm, not a boutique...

Hmmm.  That makes it more complicated since it depends on what kind of firm it is.  The website I listed might still be useful in terms of figuring out what a first year attorney would make in a given market though, so that's probably a decent place to start.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.  :(