Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Cincinnati vs. Indiana University-Indianapolis  (Read 1475 times)

menlow

• View Profile
Re: University of Cincinnati vs. Indiana University-Indianapolis
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
Have you tried negotiating the GPA requirement down to good standing?  I was able to do that at a few schools...
Don't know enough about either law school to give meaningful insight, but the "small class size = less competition post graduation" argument sounds like a positive for Cinci.  Good luck with the decision, and congrats  8)

So here is the story..  Before I was in at Cincy, I expressed my concern to IU-Indy with keeping a scholarship that requires top 10% and let them know my other scholarship offers.  IU-Indy then offered the additional scholarship, and lowered the GPA requirement of the big scholarship, effectively making it top 30% to renew.  Because they only minimally lowered the scholarship requirements, I get the impression that they are averse to giving "good" renewal terms.  I would also feel awkward asking since they've lowered it once already.  A day or so after the updates from IU-Indy, I get the money from Cincy with a good standing requirement.

Also, I appreciate the well wishes.  Thanks!

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 09:34:40 PM »
Have you tried negotiating the GPA requirement down to good standing?  I was able to do that at a few schools...
Don't know enough about either law school to give meaningful insight, but the "small class size = less competition post graduation" argument sounds like a positive for Cinci.  Good luck with the decision, and congrats  8)

So here is the story..  Before I was in at Cincy, I expressed my concern to IU-Indy with keeping a scholarship that requires top 10% and let them know my other scholarship offers.  IU-Indy then offered the additional scholarship, and lowered the GPA requirement of the big scholarship, effectively making it top 30% to renew.  Because they only minimally lowered the scholarship requirements, I get the impression that they are averse to giving "good" renewal terms.  I would also feel awkward asking since they've lowered it once already.  A day or so after the updates from IU-Indy, I get the money from Cincy with a good standing requirement.

Also, I appreciate the well wishes.  Thanks!

No prob  :)
Given the extra info, I would say Cinci if admissions was off-putting at IU-I.  It's all well and good when they want you, but will they be receptive and accommodating once they have you?  The lukewarm response to your concerns about the GPA requirement are troubling in this regard.  That being said, admissions could honestly believe it's not too much to ask that you be in the top 30%...
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:55:36 PM »
Good standing = way way way better than top 30%. Go to Cincy.

menlow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »

Assuming the scholarship is not renewed, Indy costs ~$1,500 more at the end of 3 years so the difference in tuition is negligible.  This is part of the reason that I am torn  :(

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »

Assuming the scholarship is not renewed, Indy costs ~$1,500 more at the end of 3 years so the difference in tuition is negligible.  This is part of the reason that I am torn  :(

Sorry, should have read more closely. It seems like Cincy is consistently in the low 50's. I know rank does not matter but in real life very often, but I wonder if that suggests a consistently high lawyer/judge ranking?

menlow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »

Seeing as IU-Indy has changed my scholarship requirements once, would it be in poor taste to ask for a good standing requirement in light of Cincinnati's offer?

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »

Seeing as IU-Indy has changed my scholarship requirements once, would it be in poor taste to ask for a good standing requirement in light of Cincinnati's offer?

I don't think it would.  Just be tactful.  If Indy is what you want, and you would really choose it over Cinci were it not for the GPA thing, let them know that, and see what they say.  Their reaction could speak volumes about the kind of relationship you can expect to have with the school as a student and alum--a polite take-it-or-leave-it, an incredulous take-it-or-leave-it, or acquiescence.  However, if keeping the scholarship is NOT a make-or-break requirement, as you say the cost difference is negligible, you may want to just focus on which school is the best fit and what job opportunities you will most likely have coming out of each...which seems like what your original post is most concerned with, and I cannot really offer any advice about that, sorry.
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...