Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Cincinnati vs. Indiana University-Indianapolis  (Read 1591 times)

menlow

• View Profile
University of Cincinnati vs. Indiana University-Indianapolis
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:28:28 AM »
Indiana University-Indianapolis:
Tuition last year was ~$16,000 (I am in-state)
  Scholarships:
  $10,000, 3.2 to renew (top 30%, down from top 10%)
  $5,000, 3.4 to renew (top 10%)
If I don't keep the scholarship(s), which is what I am assuming, total debt from tuition will be ~$33,000

University of Cincinnati:
Tuition would be ~$19,000 per year
  Scholarships:
  $8,500 per year, good standing to renew (do not fail out)
At the end of 3 years, total debt from tuition will be ~$31,500

In Indy, I would be living in a high rise apartment downtown and would end up costing more than living in Cincy.  Indy's law building is newer and nicer.  All of the state and federal agencies are right downtown near both the law school and where I would be living.  Big class, 290 students, 1/3 of which are part time.  Section is roughly 100 students.    If I were to lose the scholarship after 1L, it would be possible to consider switching to PT and working to defray costs.  I like the city.

In Cincy, I would be living somewhere in Northern Kentucky (in the Greater Cincinnati region, hopefully right across the river).  The building is old, but I liked it regardless.  The class size is very small, 135 max, LRW and one substantive course with a small section of 20-25 students the first year.  I am from Indiana and know less about Cincinnati in general (neither a pro nor a con, it is just something to consider).  Didn't spend a lot of time in the city, but I am sure I would like it.

Looking for some insight, hopefully from some others in the Midwest.  I could be happy at either school I think, they both have their good points and they seem to about equal out.  The big thing is living in Indy will cost more, but I will be close to everything and the state/federal/govt opportunities downtown are numerous.  I don't know if a Cincy degree will create more opportunities after graduation.  I have visited both schools and I will not be able to receive additional scholarship funding.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Cincinnati vs. Indiana University-Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:41:14 AM »
Cincinnati.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
Where do you want to live/practice?

I'd vote Cincinnati though

menlow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:48:42 AM »
I've grown to like the midwest, but I am not sure where in the midwest I would want to work.  Been a Hoosier my whole life so IU-Indy has some drawing power.  Cincy would definitely be something different for me (not necessarily in a bad way).

Edit:  Also offered 100% tuition at Michigan State University, top 50% to renew.  I don't really like the 50/50 shot of keeping the scholarship with the tuition at 30,000+.  Have not visited MSU...

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
For me this would be an easy choice - Cincinnati.

I got accepted to both as well, and with scholarships. I chose DePaul over them because of the strong LW program and my IP interest. But, Cincinnati is easily my second choice. Great school, exceptional faculty, good group of students, close knit, good sized university overall. I am not a fan of the Cincinnati area, but you would become accustomed to it. I realize one advantage to IU Indy is that it is in the state capitol, and if you seek public office, it might be a good match. But, I think Cincy will provide what you need to excel. I feel like they try to minimize competition by making the gpa requirement on the scholarship so low. Having written this...maybe I will change my mind and go to Cincy afterall...(kidding - I place a high priority on legal writing).

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
Indy, your lready there, you like it, and both these schools will have the most pull in the city where they are.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

menlow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
Indy, your lready there, you like it, and both these schools will have the most pull in the city where they are.

To be clear, I am about 3-3.5 hours from Indy, 4.5-5 hours from Cincinnati.

The thing about Indy is that it can only get cheaper to go there if I happen to renew the scholarship.  They reduced the requirements to top 30% from top 10%, which didn't do a whole lot to ease my mind..  If the scholarship was easier to keep, or if they guaranteed a certain amount, I would go there.

What are some pros/cons to big vs. small classes?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
The thing I would be most concerned about is your options out of either school and where you would like to work after school. Its highly likely that youíre going to get a job in the same city you go to school in over a job in another city (being these are both regional schools). So decide where you would like to end up afterwards, if your OK with cincy go there. But if you will not be happy outside of IN then go there.

I go to another regional school, Denver, and I can tell you its very easy for me to get a job in Denver and clerk and intern because Iím here. Its harder for me to get a job outside of Denver (and there is really not anyplace else in CO I want to work). Where you go to school is where your will 75% chance or better of working. So pick where you would like to end up most after law school. JD are NOT very portable, so where you work is likely where you will stay for most of your career.

The different rankings should not even be an issue, because the odds are best you will end up working in the city where you go to school, so their rep will be highest there regardless of what US news says. My advice make sure you OK with the city first, then decide on debt.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:43:31 PM »

The thing about Indy is that it can only get cheaper to go there if I happen to renew the scholarship.  They reduced the requirements to top 30% from top 10%, which didn't do a whole lot to ease my mind..  If the scholarship was easier to keep, or if they guaranteed a certain amount, I would go there.

I think a big pro to Cincinnati's small class size (aside from the usual 'perks' like faculty access etc) is the effect of not flooding the local market with new grads every year. Cincinnati and Indianapolis aren't huge markets, so having 130 new grads to compete with each year is better than having 300 new grads or something.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:59:59 PM »

Have you tried negotiating the GPA requirement down to good standing?  I was able to do that at a few schools...
Don't know enough about either law school to give meaningful insight, but the "small class size = less competition post graduation" argument sounds like a positive for Cinci.  Good luck with the decision, and congrats  8)
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...