Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help with my decision!!!!  (Read 7412 times)

confusedboutoptions

• View Profile
Re: Please help with my decision!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
Well, FIU was just accredited in 2006 and I believe they have like 2-3 classes that have graduated so I looked at firm websites and really didn't see any graduates on them but I'll look again!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:41 PM »
Not at all!!!!! I will be working just to make the loan payments especially coming out of one of the lower tier schools.

Exactly.

I am suppose to get the financial aid package this afternoon from NYLS...I will see what I get and if its not enough then I think I will make my decision to go to school in Florida and maybe look into a part time vs full time program so I can take the job offer and work part time as well. What do you think?

Be wary of any scholarships that have stringent scholarship requirements (or even those that aren't particularly stringent).  Grades are highly unpredictable, and many schools design contingent scholarships knowing they're going to get a lot of that money back when people lose them....

Part-time law school is a GREAT option for many people, although it would stress me out.  (But it keeps your debt down, which would make it less stressful when you're looking for a job!)  I think in your case it's a good idea, but naturally you must make that decision. 

I will look into the job placement on the FIU website and call NYLS to ask about the job placement stats as well. Thanks for all your help!!!

Make sure to really examine their stats.  Statistics can be malleable. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:01 PM »
Well, FIU was just accredited in 2006 and I believe they have like 2-3 classes that have graduated so I looked at firm websites and really didn't see any graduates on them but I'll look again!
ons

Oh, sorry.  I'm new to Florida so I was not aware of this!

Well, I think that bolsters your idea to go part-time.  If you can keep your debt low (which I'm guessing based on tuition you could keep your debt to under $40,000 totalat least), even if you get stuck with a low-paying job from FIU, it's manageable.

Now, you may not like the fact that it may be tough for you to get a decent job coming from FIU.  Of course, you need to decide for yourself how badly you want to go to law school--or consider whether you need to reapply to "better" schools.  (I was one of those people who wasn't happy with my options, retook the LSAT, and my options dramatically increased.  However, this doesn't work for everyone.)

gdeurance

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »
You did not mention what type of law you were interested in practicing. The notion of paying 2,000 dollars a month is a little absurd, especially when you consider the policy changes recently implemented. It is likely you would simply pay a percentage of your paycheck each month--something like 10 percent (starting in 2012). In addition, after 20 years of consistent payment the remainder (of your federal loans) would be forgiven--10 if you go into public service.

On another note, grades are not highly unpredictable--performance is. Although I would agree that there is not always consistency between professors (perhaps this is what the other posters where referring to). You may be an A student who gets a B in one class, all the B students get C's and so forth. Some professors simply refuse to hand out A's. Know what kind of student you are and be realistic. Going in with the idea of transferring is certainly a bad plan. But, wherever you go, I would encourage you to do well and simply apply to some other (better) schools and if accepted, at the very least, leverage those acceptances for money. I have a few friends who have done that--many others who were unsuccessful. There are a lot of downsides to transferring, law review being one of the big ones. Most likely would not be able to do it until 3L, which puts you behind the pack.

I am also a firm believer that it is better to shine where you are. If you can make top 10 or 15 percent at any of the three law firms you mentioned, that is much better than being middle of the pack at a school only marginally better--you aren't going NYLS to NYU or Columbia (maybe if you are at the very top of your class, like number 1). The loss of GPA and standing, no law review, scholarships if you had any etc, transferring for reasons other than simply not liking where you are, not the greatest idea. Entering a law school looking to transfer, naive at best. Good luck with your decision.