Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: International Dispute Resolution v. International Trial Advocacy?  (Read 935 times)

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
I am pretty determined to do international law. I am looking to do some kind of international private sector work, dealing with commercial disputes or corporate law (contracts, merger... that kind of stuff),between China and the States. So here are my choices, Pepperdine with a focus in dispute resolution, loyola with a focus in trial advocacy, or UNLV with a more general international law focus. Does anyone know how international commercial disputes are solved? where do they usually try a case if an american company dues a chinese firm for breach of contract? I am a newbie on this subject, so any input is greatly appreciated!

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: International Dispute Resolution v. International Trial Advocacy?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
I am pretty determined to do international law. I am looking to do some kind of international private sector work, dealing with commercial disputes or corporate law (contracts, merger... that kind of stuff),between China and the States. So here are my choices, Pepperdine with a focus in dispute resolution, loyola with a focus in trial advocacy, or UNLV with a more general international law focus. Does anyone know how international commercial disputes are solved? where do they usually try a case if an american company dues a chinese firm for breach of contract? I am a newbie on this subject, so any input is greatly appreciated!

I think that complex transactions generally have clauses specifying where suits can be brought.  I think lots of them have arbitration clauses as well.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »

I think that complex transactions generally have clauses specifying where suits can be brought.  I think lots of them have arbitration clauses as well.

titcr. maybe unlv with what you want to do? regardless, be aware that the international law field is not as large as people think. you'd probably be primarily working for a large law firm or as in-house counsel for a multinational corporation. both are pretty competitive gigs, so you'll probably have to place pretty well in the class. 

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:02:18 AM »
I'd go with Pepperdine.  They have a robust ADR program, including this awesome ADR in Hong Kong study tour- http://law.pepperdine.edu/straus/international_study/china/
You might want to network with whomever sets that program up.
Fed gov't atty

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:19:29 AM »
I'd go with Pepperdine.  They have a robust ADR program, including this awesome ADR in Hong Kong study tour- http://law.pepperdine.edu/straus/international_study/china/
You might want to network with whomever sets that program up.

thx =) Yea I heard about that. I am originally from Hong Kong and I speak cantonese and mandarin. Thats why I thought it would place me at a competitive advantage if I work on international ADR between US and China.