Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where can/should I apply with these stats?  (Read 1922 times)

Dina89

• View Profile
Where can/should I apply with these stats?
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:04:46 AM »
So my undergraduate GPA is a 3.94, but my  LSDAS GPA is 3.39 (approximately- I calculated this myself thus far) and a LSAT of 173 ( I've been doing practices and get abt 170-178 so I'm averaging)

Some background info is that my  LSDAS GPA is significantly lower because I spent the first two years of my career as a premed student ( taking genetics and bioinformatics etc) and  realized how much i disliked it apart from it killing my gpa. Then I decided to do something i really liked, and switched to Psych major w/ a Legal Studies minor and literally have gotten A's in every single course since then.
Something I thought mayyy ( and yes i say this lightly) be an advantage (or atleast a good thing) is that my legal studies minor, is taught at the law school here and taken with graduate students, and there are the same classes that most law schools offer as First year core. For example: I have taken-

Constitutional Law
Legal Research and Writing
Immigration Law
American Legal Systems
Torts
Civil Litigation and Trial
Legal Interviewing

All of which I have, or will be, getting A's in.

I have atleast two reconmedations comming from my minor with which both professors are active lawyers as well, the chair of psychology, and another prof I've known since freshman year who is a major part of the law school at Saint John's University ( he also taught me criminal justice)

I have also been doing a volunteer position for over a year now ( another possible reconmedation) called Legal Assistance for Women (LAW) where I assist 3rd yr law students and probono lawyers. Also an Internship at the same place as a Legal and Resource Intern for over 150 hours. I also did a 130 hr internship at Abbott Northwestern Hosptial.

So yea any suggestions of where I should be looking?

Dina89

• View Profile
Re: Where can/should I apply with these stats?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
SORRY!i realized this isn't probably where this post should be, so I made another one somewhere else :-[

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
It's really hard to say where you should be applying based on an average practice test score.  These things are unpredictable; you may have a bad day and see a score below anything you got on a practice exam, or a good day where you get that 178.  Your target school list would vary considerably based on that.

But hypotehtically, a 3.39/173 would probably mean that Columbia, Chicago and NYU would be reaches, and that your targets would be just a little below that.  My opinion, anyway.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Dina89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »
It's really hard to say where you should be applying based on an average practice test score.  These things are unpredictable; you may have a bad day and see a score below anything you got on a practice exam, or a good day where you get that 178.  Your target school list would vary considerably based on that.

But hypotehtically, a 3.39/173 would probably mean that Columbia, Chicago and NYU would be reaches, and that your targets would be just a little below that.  My opinion, anyway.

I understand that since those are not my solid lsat scores its hard to say but thanks a lot for your input, it means a lot :)
and just a question for you or anyone else... to actually get into a 'reach' school what  does it take? a good personal statement, recommendations... both?

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »

I understand that since those are not my solid lsat scores its hard to say but thanks a lot for your input, it means a lot :)
and just a question for you or anyone else... to actually get into a 'reach' school what  does it take? a good personal statement, recommendations... both?

Apply early! Make sure your application package is impeccable and get your apps there ASAP. While it may still take a while to get a response back, for splitters, it's better to be one of the first they see, than the 500th that they see, you know?

Dina89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »

Apply early! Make sure your application package is impeccable and get your apps there ASAP. While it may still take a while to get a response back, for splitters, it's better to be one of the first they see, than the 500th that they see, you know?

Ohh I see thats definately logical and I hadn't considered that, thanks a million :)